Our client is the oldest hospice in the UK with over 100 years of experience providing compassionate palliative care. They provide free specialist palliative and end-of-life care for people living in Wandsworth and parts of Lambeth, Merton, Westminster, Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington & Chelsea and Richmond.
An exciting opportunity has accordingly arisen for a Gardener to join our client on a permanent, full-time basis working 37.5 hours a week.
- A salary of £26,842 - £28,142 depending on experience
- They match Agenda for Change/NHS terms and conditions for maternity, paternity and long-term sickness pay
- Length of service for those joining directly from another CQC regulated organisation (NHS, social care, hospice) is recognised in annual leave, maternity, paternity and long-term sickness pay
- A pension scheme is offered with employer contributions of up to 7.5% or a continuation of your existing NHS pension
- A generous 27 days’ annual leave increasing to 29 after 5 years and 33 days after 10 years, plus bank holidays (any bank holidays worked will be given back in lieu)
- Cycle to work scheme and interest-free season ticket loans available
- Free eyesight test for DSE users and a contribution towards the cost of glasses
- 25% store discount in our shops
- Life assurance cover
- Lots of opportunities to attend exciting and high-profile events e.g. a staff lottery to attend the regular biannual Gala dinner; participating in Royal visits, and the annual summer garden party
- Regular ballots for donated free tickets and prizes
- Access to courses of free counselling on the phone or face to face
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced horticulturalist to lead an enthusiastic team of volunteer gardeners making our client’s grounds a wonderful haven.
Our client’s beautiful gardens are based on the historic designs of Lanning Roper and provide our client’s patients and their families with peace and tranquillity.
Working in this exceptional setting, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the maintenance and development of their incredible space and win awards through the London Garden Society and NGS.
So, if you’re looking for a rewarding role, where your work will be enjoyed and appreciated by staff, patients and visitors alike, then this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Gardener, you will take responsibility for maintaining our client’s historic gardens, producing planting, landscaping and propagation schemes to contribute to its continual upkeep.
Taking responsibility for the regular garden volunteer team, you will lead and organise their activities, providing advice, motivation and praise. You will deliver training and ensure all volunteers have a pleasurable experience.
Organising our client’s garden year-round, you will develop a garden work programme, maintain a record of tools and undertake all COSHH record completion and risk assessments as required.
Additionally, you will:
- Maintain a catalogue of all trees
- Carry out routine maintenance tasks
- Maintain basic equipment such as lawnmowers
To be considered as a Gardener, you will need:
- Significant practical experience in horticulture
- Experience in the use of garden machinery and/or equipment such as chainsaws and mowers
- Good knowledge of plant husbandry, horticultural techniques and plant identification
- Knowledge of Health & Safety compliance requirements
- Excellent organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills
- Basic IT skills
- Accreditation to use equipment such as chainsaws and mowers
- RHS Level 3 horticultural qualification or equivalent level of experience
Ideally, you will have experience of working within a charity or healthcare environment and of supervising a small team of volunteers.
It would be beneficial to have experience of garden design, budget management and of leading garden events.
The closing date for applications is 28th August 2022.
Other organisations might call this role Horticultural Specialist, Garden Team Leader, Volunteer Garden Team Leader, Volunteer Horticulturalist Leader, Head Horticulturalist, or Garden Manager.
Our client is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Everyone is treated fairly with dignity and respect irrespective of age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, civil partnership status, disability, nationality, race, religion or belief. Our client prides themselves on being an inclusive organisation that encourages and supports fairness, respect, equality, diversity, inclusion and engagement (FREDIE) in all its forms. Our client encourages and welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds.
So, if you could contribute to our client’s garden’s tranquillity as a Gardener, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.