Crocus is one of the most successful and dynamic businesses in UK horticulture. Since our launch in April 2000 we've grown into one of the biggest gardening retail websites in the UK, offering over 7,000 plant varieties. We also grow, source and supply plants for large landscaping projects including the prestigious RHS Chelsea Flower Show. To date we have won 31 gold medals and the coveted ‘Best in Show‘ award 12 times.
We are also proud winners of the Glee Buyers Power List and achieved 'Best Online Buying Team' in 2022.
We are looking to recruit a Buyer to join our award winning team.
Main purpose of the job:
- To manage a selection of designated hardy plant categories across Crocus, affiliate sites and the Dorney Court Kitchen Garden in terms of range, pricing, promotional activity and supplier management.
- To ensure that hardy plant ranges offered are compelling, appropriate, available and customer focused.
- To ensure the effective sourcing of hardy plants by managing the end-to-end process from supplier sourcing and management, to planning procurement, through to annual range launch.
- To ensure supplier contracts and terms agreements are maintained.
- To go above and beyond to make a difference within the garden retail industry by sourcing hardy plants that will delight our customers.
- To ensure customer needs and expectations are being met.
- To deal with issues and propose action where necessary.
- To drive sales and profitability, ensure budgets are met and financial targets are achieved.
- To ensure appropriate pricing and margin.
- To make pricing and promotional decisions and implement on a timely basis.
- To create strong promotional plans for the range, key seasonal events and other category initiatives and ensure success in delivery.
- To ensure promotions are communicated well across the site and within weekly email campaigns.
- To take responsibility for managing hardy plant stock and maximise availability in conjunction with the procurement team and wider plant team.
- To ensure quality of plants.
- To identify gaps and opportunities for Crocus.
- To consistently demonstrate insight of competitors, target customers and market dynamics.
- To keep up to date with category knowledge.
- To attend trade shows and supplier meetings both in the UK and EU as required, taking the lead where required.
- To measure and evaluate the success of activities.
- Any other reasonable duties/requests as required.
Key experience, knowledge and skills
- Good knowledge of hardy plant buying and promotions, ideally with a minimum of 3 years UK experience of hardy nursery plants.
- Experience with EU suppliers would be an advantage.
- Ideally holds a National Diploma qualification in hardy nursery stock.
- Of graduate calibre or equivalent however, this should not deter candidates who can demonstrate ability and a willingness to succeed.
- Computer literate (Excel & Word).
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to work to time pressures in a fast moving and rapidly changing market.
- Basic financial awareness and ability to interpret data.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills – a team player.
- Driving licence.