The American Battle Monuments Commission is seeking a highly experienced dedicated individual to manage the grounds of Brookwood American Cemetery.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Head Gardener / Horticultural Supervisor works semi-independently under the direction of the Superintendent and is their primary advisor on scheduling and completion of trades work. In conjunction with the Superintendent responsible for supervising all trades employees on site. Plans, organises, implements and oversees routine tasks, and is responsible for project development, facility and equipment management. Acts as primary intermediary between the Superintendent and subordinate staff.
· Incumbent must have 3-5 years expert gardener trades knowledge and understanding of other related maintenance trades at the time of hire.
· A proven track record in horticultural management within a multi-discipline team in a horticultural setting sensitive to its cultural heritage.
· Excellent planning and staff management/supervisory skills, candidate must have 3-4 yrs. experience of managing a small team.
· A current UK driving licence.
· Must be able to pass a stringent security clearance procedure prior to employment.
· Must be legally entitled to work in the United Kingdom. ABMC does not sponsor employment. U.S. citizens are not eligible.
Salary and benefits
· This is a permanent full-time position, 40hr week, Mon-Fri
· Salary range: £27,254.00 – £48,221.00 gross per year, depending on qualifications and experience
· Supplemental pension and health insurance are available
· ABMC observes both US and UK bank holidays
· Higher National Diploma in Horticulture or similar Ground management qualification
· Knowledge of Microsoft package including Outlook email
· Certification in the use of phytosanitary products is preferred
· English Language knowledge: B2 Level of the CERCL, both spoken and written. Candidate may be evaluated for testing language proficiency.
Please also enclose a cover letter on why you would like this job and what you can bring to working for the American Battle Monuments Commission
Deadline to apply is 5 September 2022. Applications received after the deadline and applications not meeting the job requirements will not be considered.
For further information about ABMC please visit: www.abmc.gov