40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
The Estate currently occupies a traditional Tree and Shrub Nursery totalling some 8 acres and we are looking for a commercially driven Tree Nursery Manager to develop and expand the operation by a further 10 acres, in line with the business plan.
Reporting to the Head of Estates, the successful candidate will develop and lead on this work and will also oversee the production of all orders and ensure Health and Safety procedures are in place and adhered to by the team.
The ideal candidate will have extensive horticulture or nursery related knowledge, a strong foresight for marketing gaps and opportunities and effective communication and organisation skills. This is an exciting time for the development of the tree nursery and its expansion.
The Tree Nursery Manager will take the lead on the management of the traditional Estate Tree and Shrub Nursery totalling some 8 acres with an aim on building upon and expanding the operation by a further 10 – 15 acres or thereabouts. Propagation of a broad range of species is key to the success alongside catering for the clients’ requirements. The Manager will be required to develop the expansion plans and ensure expansion is delivered on the ground in line with the business plan.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage and develop all existing and future production processes.
- Develop integrated crop management and environmental management systems.
- Deal with sales & advice to customers, overseeing production of orders.
- Ensure the identification, prioritisation and allocation of tasks for the nursery are met.
- Ensure site equipment and machinery are kept in an acceptable condition and are serviced as and when needed.
- Maintain tree nursery to an acceptable condition.
- Read and keep up to date with relevant legislation, updating any related procedures as necessary
- Carry out other operations, tasks and activities as instructed by the Head of Estate may be necessary from time to time.
- Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required.
- Operate in accordance with Castle Howard Health and Safety Policy at all times.