The grounds comprise a 3-acre kitchen garden plus another 4 acres. The successful candidate must be, highly organised and confident. They must be self-motivated, passionate and take pride in their work, whilst being able to manage and prioritise their time and that of two part-time groundsmen. Scawby Hall is part of a working agricultural estate, and at times the gardener may be asked to assist elsewhere on the estate. We would like someone with an eye for detail and design to help us make Scawby Gardens a great visitor attraction.
The gardener will report to the owner and will have daily responsibility for the maintenance and continuous development of the garden. The gardens at Scawby Hall are currently open to the public 28 days of the year. The gardener should be comfortable engaging with the public and assisting with the opening, including selling plants and produce from time to time. The gardener will also assist selling Christmas trees grown on the estate from the kitchen garden in December.
A good level of health and safety knowledge is important, and competency in the operation and basic maintenance of garden machinery is also useful. The successful candidate will be able to identify a wide range of plants, pests and diseases, together with knowledge of how plants can thrive, preferably with a RHS Horticulture Level 2 Certificate, a PA1/PA6 spraying certificate and a chainsaw certificate (or willingness to take training courses).
We are offering a generous salary in line with the Professional Gardeners Guild Salary Guidelines for 2021 with a pension scheme which is negotiable based on your experience and level of training.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain and enhance all garden areas of Scawby Hall, maintaining an exceptional presentation at all times.
- Responsible for managing two part-time grounds staff.
- Ensure the gardens team works in a safe, secure and legally-compliant environment, including fulfilling health and safety obligations and ensuring appropriate use of PPE.
- Ensure all garden tools and machinery are properly serviced and are safe to use.
- Prune garden trees and evaluate trees for potential risks to employees and the public.
- Take an active role in the design, improvement and development of the gardens.
- Assist visitors of the garden, including ensuring health and safety of visitors and selling excess produce and/or plants during the 28 open days.
Hours: 7:30 am – 5pm Monday to Thursday, 7:30 am to 12:30 pm Friday (although the gardener may be required to have some seasonal flexibility).
Occasional overtime/weekend work will be required during Scawby Hall open times.
Job Type: Full-time