SLOUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL
Date: 26th May 2022
Post Pay Level 5 – SCP 19-23
Job Evaluation No: 1854 DBS requirement: N/A
JOB TITLE: Grounds Skilled Operative
RESPONSIBLE TO: Higher Operative Grades, Supervisor / Senior Supervisor
- The outcome of work allocated including indirect on-site responsibility for up to 5 staff
- Learning and retaining detailed and thorough knowledge of working practices, policies and procedures
- Telephone liaison with the office to deal with complex issues arising
- Day to day safety of yourself, others within your team and the general public including taking a lead on close call reporting
- Ensure the real time complete and thorough updating of work completed using in-cab/hand held device to demonstrate to the office how the round is progressing
- Leading on informing the "system administrator" of updates to the electronic schedule of work so that it remains a complete and accurate representation of the work on the round
- Taking a leading part in regular "working groups" with operatives, Supervisors and Managers to review and improve working methods and to reblend work across the rounds so that each round and each total days work across all rounds remains broadly similar in terms of time taken to complete
- Ensuring that your machine is safe to use/drive at all times and that your certificate is up to date and valid
- Ensuring that you stop your machine if a pedestrian or vehicle enters your operating area and that you remain stationary until they are no longer in your operating area
- Ensuring that your vehicle is safe to drive at all times and that your driving licence and Drivers CPC, where appropriate, is up to date and valid
- Courtesy to other vehicles and pedestrians using the road, minimising obstruction and inconvenience to other road users, managing diplomatically the fact that roads will be blocked by our activity from time to time
Direct reports: 0
Indirect reports: 5
Total Managed: 5
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
- To perform grounds maintenance activities in Slough Borough Council’s parks, gardens, open spaces and road sides, and commercial premises where required, to a high horticultural and customer care standard commensurate with skills, qualifications (certificates) and experience. This includes:-
- Grass cutting
- Hedge and shrub maintenance
- Litter collection, cleaning of furniture
- Maintenance to a high standard of a wide variety of ornamental planting features such as annual bedding, perennial displays, hanging baskets and ornamental lawns
- Preparation of sports pitches
- Application of weed killer
- Minor tree works
- Landscaping works
- Playground inspection and maintenance
To work alone or as part of a team that maintains Slough Borough Council’s streets, parks and opens spaces to a high standard so that they are a welcoming and safe place to visit.
- Ensure that where premises, gates, barriers etc are unlocked to gain access that they are relocked after work has been completed, paying particular attention to the safeguarding of keys.
To assist the management team with tackling misuse and abuse of streets, parks and open spaces.
- Undertake all duties safely in line with Safe Systems of Work, Method Statements and Risk Assessments, to a high standard and in accordance with schedules set within a management plan or within work instructions
- Attend all training courses, tool-box-talks, project and work briefings as required.
- Report and record the status of tasks using in-cab or handheld electronic devices and/or paperwork as required, communicating regularly throughout the day with the control room / supervisor and completing all end of shift records and paperwork.
- Report close calls, near misses, accidents, incidents and anything that may affect your ability to do the job to the Supervisor / Manager at the time of the event. This may include blocked access, building / road works, threatening behaviour by members of the public etc
- Liaison with members of the public, other team members, managers and sub-contractors in a professional and courteous manner, resolving on site problems with minimal public inconvenience. Ensure work does not cause a hazard to people, vehicles and property.
- Provide a high standard of service delivery and customer care. Present a caring and professional image to the general public, including wearing of prescribed uniform and PPE at all times.
- Responsible for the safe use and safe keeping of tools, equipment, plant and vehicles allocated:-
- Complete appropriate safety checks on all vehicles, plant and equipment for which you are responsible and report defects as required
- Report missing tools, faulty equipment and faulty PPE to your Supervisor / Manager at the time of discovery
- Where the appropriate licence/certificate is held, to drive vehicles as required to transport materials, equipment and personnel to site and for removal of arising and waste for disposal. Vehicle to be driven and operated in a safe and responsible manner at all times showing due consideration to the applicable legislation and other road users. The inside of the vehicle to be kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Use of tools, equipment, plant and vehicles allocated for which an operative has received training and has a current valid certificate to allow its use.
This job description covers the main duties and responsibilities of the job, the job holder may be required to undertake other tasks from time to time