Slough Borough Council
Date: 26th May 2022
Post Pay Level: 6 SCP-24 - 29
DBS requirement: N/A
Job Title: Tree Officer Responsible to: Keith Boden Landscape & Grounds Maintenance Services Manager Responsible for:
As a member of the Grounds Maintenance team, this post is directly responsible for:
Number of reports:
Direct reports: 0
Indirect reports: 0
Total Managed: 0
Main purpose of Job:
To be responsible for arranging the periodic inspection of the borough’s publicly owned tree stock, determining and prioritising required works, using a risk based approach.
To lead on the provision of arboricultural advice, providing advice to the planning function and co-ordinate and order planned or emergency tree maintenance work on behalf of client services or departments.
To develop the Council’s Tree Strategy and to encourage greater community involvement through education and promotional activities and linking arboriculture with other work areas.
To resolve public and councillor complaints and enquiries on arboricultural and related grounds maintenance issues, providing support across the department.
- To advise on the management of risk and investigate tree related insurance claims.
- To use and update a GIS based system to manage the borough’s tree stock.
- To enforce relevant provisions of the Local Government (Misc. Provisions) Act 1976.
- To specify, cost and commission maintenance works, planting schemes or related works.
- To research technical areas and current issues applying them when appropriate.
- Be aware of new developments in arboriculture and promote good practice and to encourage community participation via education campaigns.
- To provide cover to support in the Environmental Services team.
- To advise the public, councillors, partner organisations and internal departments, possibly attending evening committee or other meetings and assisting with the presentation of reports to councillors.
- To provide advice on planning applications, new developments and Tree Preservation Orders.
To observe requirements of Health & Safety legislation, ensuring safety of self and work colleagues.