If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.
The Firs, Elgar's birthplace, has a variety of outdoor spaces including the cottage garden with herbaceous borders; an orchard and a small woodland area.
What it's like to work here
The Firs, Elgar's birthplace, is an important site both regionally and nationally as we tell the story of how a man born in a humble cottage in the Worcestershire countryside became the musical genius we now know. You'll be part of the South Worcestershire Outdoors team, although you'll be mainly working in the garden alone or with our volunteers. You'll be helping the team at The Firs welcome visitors, and your main task will be to keep the outdoor spaces looking fantastic.
What you'll be doing
As a hands-on Gardener, you'll make sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard. You'll be passionate and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the garden. You'll carry out a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden. You'll do any hard and soft landscaping required, and maintain the garden, by mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding.
You'll look after trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants. You'll cut the hedges and mow the lawns. You'll also lead the garden volunteers and help them to make the most of their time here every Wednesday. You'll work with the public when the place is open and help out with gardening workshops, tours and events when needed. You'll be duty managing on occasion and there will be some weekend working.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience.
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance.