Waddesdon Manor is a historic house and garden open to the public. Created by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild from 1874, it is home to the Rothschild Collection and was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1957. Today it is managed by a Rothschild charitable trust, The Rothschild Foundation. The 165-acre garden is Grade 1 listed and is one of the finest Victorian gardens in Britain, famous for its ornamental bedding, shrub planting and specimen trees, and its excellent horticultural standards.
The Gardens Department, which consists of Eythrope Gardens and Waddesdon Manor Gardens, is managed by the Gardens Manager, 2 Assistant Garden Managers, 5 Gardeners at Eythrope Gardens and 9 Gardeners, one Seasonal Gardener and a small army of volunteers at Waddesdon.
Eythrope is a historic garden open to the public on a limited basis. Created by Alice de Rothschild from 1875, it is now the private garden of the present Lord Rothschild and his family. From the 1st March 2019 the garden came under the management of a Rothschild charitable trust, The Rothschild Foundation. The 4 acre walled garden is one of the finest gardens in Britain, famous for its use of traditional gardening methods and excellent horticultural standards. The Eythrope team also manages 26 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding the Pavilion and also the garden at the Homestead.
OUTLINE OF ROLE
The Assistant Gardens Manager is a key position within the Gardens Team who monitors the standards of presentation at Eythrope. To achieve this the Assistant Garden Manager will need to spend large amounts of time in the garden, prioritising work, monitoring standards and working with the team. Supporting the Gardens Manager to develop new policies is a key contribution of the role to ensure the Department achieves its strategic objectives and vision. The Assistant Gardens Manager is a highly experienced horticulturalist and people manager, who leads by example and always strives to ensure that Eythrope is at the leading edge of horticulture and that the Garden Team is supported, motivated and abreast of new trends and techniques.
The Assistant Gardens Manager works collaboratively to ensure that the garden is managed and developed to the highest level possible.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE
The day-to day monitoring of the presentation standards of the Garden and delivery of seasonal tasks and projects, including:
- Support the Gardens Manager with the creation of a Garden Management Plan, and any additional reviews.
- Supporting the Gardens Manager in the creation and maintenance of the Gardens annual budget.
- Participation in planning and delivery of projects and garden related events as appropriate. Contribute and attend planning meetings and debriefs.
- Lead on a culture of exceptional Health and Safety to ensure compliance and safe working practices within all statements, guidance notes and COSHH regulations, to ensure a safe working environment, for staff and visitors. You will work to ensure the highest levels of Health and Safety are maintained by the Department.
- All staff are expected to observe both Waddesdon Manor and the National Trust’s policy and practices for the protection and improvement of the environment, and to ensure the security of equipment and buildings.
- Working with contractors and suppliers and highly effective resource management including staff, equipment and tools.
- Show excellent leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication.
- Encourage a culture of collaborative working within the department and with other departments at Waddesdon, including Estates, Facilities, Visitor Services and Events and Curators.
- Act as a role model and mentor to all staff, managing and training staff, horticultural trainees and volunteers as required.
- Participation in the development of the Student Training Programme in consultation with the Gardens Manager.
- Participation in developing talks, tours and workshops as appropriate.
- Participation in day-to-day activities in the Garden.
- To deputise for the Gardens Manager as required.
- A flexible, committed approach with willingness to work as the workload demands and across the areas managed by the Gardens Team.