The Society wishes to employ a professional gardener to join our team at The JJBS Woodland Cemetery, Cheshunt. The cemetery provides funerals for congregants of member synagogues as well as burying Jewish and non-Jewish partners in Woodland and lawn settings. We are a Jewish organisation but this is not a requirement of employment. However, staff are expected to respect our customs and traditions, including that food on the cemetery is either vegetarian or dairy.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to work with a small team as a gardener. Ideally, you will hold a diploma in horticulture at a minimum of RHS/NVQ Level 2 in Amenity or Professional Horticulture. You should have a proven record in horticulture a passion for plants and the environment - as the Trustees are. The planting is native or near cultivars and we hope you will work with us to develop the cemetery and surrounding area and protect our environment.
The Trustees will support the successful candidate in professional development by providing training which will benefit both you and us. We hope our staff will progress within our organisation whilst doing so enhance themselves and our grounds.
Maintenance and Upkeep Woodland Cemetery - Day to day upkeep & assisting development of the Cemetery’s gardens/grounds
- Gardening and grounds maintenance at the Woodland Cemetery with some work at our adjacent sister cemetery and occasionally other sites. This includes:
- Lawns, mowing, irrigation, feeding, selective weed-killing, edging, keeping concrete demarcation strips cleared, scarification, top dressing, spiking, turf lifting / laying, grass seeding and leaf sweeping.
- Maintenance of plants, including division / re-planting of herbaceous stock, transplanting, pruning, irrigation, mulching and general care of all plants throughout. Clearing all garden debris and composting this..
- Hedge, hedgerow and minor tree maintenance including cutting, facing and replacing as necessary informing of safety concerns as necessary.
- Graves – top up un-planted sunken graves as necessary and plant and maintain graves using cemetery plant book. Guiding families wishing to plant graves themselves of suitable choices.
- Weed Control - on hard surfaces, gravel paths, hedge lines, beds and borders by mechanical and chemical means
- Maintain garden paths in a clean and safe condition, including pressure washing and brooming. Application of algicides where appropriate.
- Litter & Leaf Control - On all external hard and soft surfaces, shrub borders, JJBS Memorial Garden, this includes clearing snow and ice, applying salt/grit to keep main routes safe during inclement weather.
- Ensure all machinery and tools are adequately cleaned at the end of each day. Assist in minor in-house repairs. Secure chemicals once used.
- Maintain effective communication within the department and ensure that your line manager and Woodland Committee are kept informed of any problems or queries that have arisen
- To carry out any other duties that may be reasonably requested by the Cemetery manager or member of the senior management team
- Assist in placing official orders for all materials (soil, feeds, mulches, gravel etc) and plants within the cemeteries when requested
- Work in accordance with the Health & Safety at Work Act and all other relevant legislation ie Ear Defenders worn when operating machinery and Steel Toe Caps worn by staff at all times. Promote safe working practices at all times. Keep up to date with new legislation and be fully conversant with the risk assessments for your department
- To promote a positive image with JJBS colleagues and visitors if accidents occur to report in accordance with correct procedures.
- The ability to work flexibly and under pressure, sometimes with limited notice to cover periods of high intensity.
- Ensure environmental practices and recycling measures are implemented and developed
- Participate in annual assessment and any training as required
- Such other appropriate duties as may be required by your Line Manager or the Landscape Consultant
Education & Qualifications:
- RHS or NVQ Level 2 in Horticulture
- Good standard of Computer Literacy and English Language
- PA1 and PA6 certificate in Application of Pesticides and Herbicides
- Qualification in First Aid
- Ability to operate power tools and ride-on mower with appropriate certification
To apply, please click on 'Apply now'.