We are recruiting for a full time live-out head gardener for a private country garden of approximately 25 acres in Berkshire.
The garden comprises of :
- formal areas, river frontage, meadows and woodland;
- a kitchen garden providing vegetables, soft fruit and cut flowers for the main house;
- automated greenhouses for propagation and production of houseplants for the conservatory and main house.
The garden is currently in a transitional phase with many of the formal areas being remodelled.
You will be responsible for a team (currently consisting of 4 gardeners) who carry out general garden and maintenance work involved as well as shared security checks on the property. Summary of responsibilities and duties:
- Deliver high standards of maintenance and horticulture, developing a programme of work to ensure the landscape and gardens are maintained and presented to the highest level throughout the year
- Liaise with the owner to manage and interpret the horticultural needs of each area
- Create written plans and schedules for seasonal tasks for the various parts of the gardens
- Manage an established team, including rotas, holidays, performance, development, employee relations, etc. and identify recruitment and training needs
- Liaise with housekeeping staff and contractors
- Create budgets and placing orders for tools, plant and other necessary equipment.
- Ensure all mechanical equipment is correctly fuelled, maintained and kept in proper working order
- Ensure the green houses and irrigation system are correctly maintained and kept in proper working order
- Cleaning of paved areas
- Implement safety policies and procedures
- Manage threats and risks from Pest & Diseases