An exciting opportunity for a gardener to work and live at a small private estate in Hampshire near Basingstoke. The gardens comprise of formal lawns, herbaceous borders, a walled garden (including vegetables and cut flowers), an orchard, greenhouse and polytunnel, woodlands, wildflower meadow and grazed parkland.
The role will include a wide range of tasks including:
- Managing a small team
- Supervising contractors when on site
- Liaising with the shepherd regarding grazing and parkland management
- Working closely with the owner and garden designer
- Propagation of all vegetables and cut flowers grown for the house
- General maintenance of lawns, hedges, shrubs and borders including weeding, mulching and leaf picking
- Maintenance of the compost bays
- Management of the wildflower meadow, woodland and newly planted hazel coppice
- Rose and fruit tree pruning
Candidates should have:
- Minimum 4 years experience in a gardening position or similar
- Qualifications are helpful
- Competency in the use of garden machinery including tractors with a front loader, trailer and rear mounted flail cutter. Sit on mowers, strimmers and hedge cutters.
- Chainsaw licence and spraying certificate would be a bonus
- Full UK driving licence
- Applicants must have good all round gardening skills and plant knowledge, be physically fit and prepared to work in all weathers. Work is varied so flexibility is required.
A cottage is provided as part of the package. Candidate must be prepared to live in full-time.
Depending on experience. We will consider a range of applicants from highly experienced to enthusiastic gardener who would grow into the position.