Community and Ecology Adviser
Salary: £25,280.00 - £28,045.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance and Annual Leave
Duration: 2 years
Do you have high levels of enthusiasm for working with community groups and for wildlife conservation? Then this might be the opportunity you have been looking for!
If you would like to be a part of a conservation charity who consistently delivering successful conservation, forging powerful partnerships with other organisations, and inspiring others to stand up and give nature the home it deserves then this role could be for you.
Our client is the largest green service provider in the UK, wholly dedicated to providing green services and passionate about ensuring a bright future for our parks and countryside.
Whats the role about:
Working at a static location in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, you will help supports & lead community groups, helping them deliver parks management for people and nature.
Our client is seeking a self-motivated individual keen to work with the community to deliver nature conservation. The role is part-time and will initially be for a two year contract, but with the expectation this will be extended.
Do you have the relevant experience of working with community groups and ecological knowledge, to deliver what nature needs?
About the role
You will support community groups to be empowered for nature conservation, delivering for priority habitats and species.
You will work to develop strong and supportive relationships with all community stakeholders.
You will advise the site management team regarding best practice conservation management for habitats and species.
Main duties will involve:
- Act as the Biodiversity Champion, linking with the residents and client team and helping to ensure that biodiversity is appropriately enhanced.
- Through the volunteering and community work, identify residents that wish to work to create pathways for them to help by building a sustainable volunteering programme.
- Support the community groups through seeking funding opportunities.
Provide wildlife conservation advice
- Provide relevant, accurate and timely advice on biodiversity and habitat management to client team and residents.
- To support and report on the delivery of the Hammersmith & Fulham Biodiversity commissioners report.
- To work collaboratively with the Community and Training Manager.
- Train operational staff in understanding biodiversity and conservation management.
- To support in the creation of a new teaching resource, working with third sectors partners like to deliver the programme.
- Develop and deliver biodiversity resources (manual and toolbox talks) for use by our clients employees
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience required:
- Experience of working with volunteers and community groups
- Knowledge of conservation delivery, to be able to effectively advise operators and volunteers in how to implement species and habitat conservation.
- Understanding of the dynamics in relation to achieving conservation delivery and stakeholder values.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- A clear passion for wildlife.
- Competence in relevant IT (e.g. MS packages, Outlook etc).
- Effective time-management and organisational skills.
- Effective relationship management skills.
- Project management and implementation
- A full driving license or access to a vehicle to reach places not on public transport.
- A resident of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
- A qualification in a relevant subject (e.g. ecology, countryside management).
- Experience of carrying out ecological surveys, either voluntarily or through work experience/paid employment.
- Knowledge of land conservation management practices and writing site management plans.
- Health & Safety applying to working with volunteers and site management (e.g. risk assessments).
- Experience of making funding applications
- A high level of enthusiasm for working with community groups to deliver wildlife conservation
- The ability to multi-task
- An approachable personality
- Strong relationship building skills
- Good attention to detail
- A flexible approach, the post holder must be prepared to work occasional evenings and weekends (with time off in lieu)
- Person values align with that the companies corporate ethos and culture.
This is a 2 year fixed term Contract role. It is a Part Time role for 4 days a week. The company reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
This role will require completion of a DBS in addition to the standard pre-employment checks.