You'll be gardening in our 18th Century Pleasure Grounds and Walled Garden, working with our great team of volunteer gardeners and sharing your passion for Attingham with our half a million visitors that come each year.
The Head Gardener leads 4 full time gardeners and dozens of fantastic volunteer gardeners to develop and maintain the Pleasure Grounds and Walled Garden at Attingham.
It's a fun but busy role, with over 30 acres to garden and half a million visitors to look after, we are extremely busy throughout every month of the year. The rewards of being part of creating such an exceptional space and of giving pleasure to so many people make it all worthwhile.
You'll be busy with a bit of everything from mowing our lawns, pruning shrubberies and trees, fencing, fixing pathways, planting and sowing.
In addition a major part of the role means you'll be supervising and leading teams of volunteers who do a huge amount of the gardening here and you’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience.
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants.
- A strong work ethic.
- Capable of leading a team of volunteers to achieve our aims.
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events.
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance.