Harry Holding Garden Maintenance Ltd
Job Title: Assistant Maintenance Manager
Holiday: Starting at 28 days holiday (includes Bank Holidays)
Birthday day: All employees have their Birthday as paid holiday
Pay grade: £30,000 - £35,000 - based on experience and qualifications
Reporting Relationships: Reporting to – Horticultural Director/Maintenance Manager
Managing: Supervisors and Maintenance Teams
Development Path: This post has the possibility of becoming a Maintenance Manager in line with company growth.
- Bonus scheme to be discussed and implemented at a later date, progress dependent
- 1 day holiday accrued every two years of service up to a maximum of (24) days + bank holidays
- Company phone
- All employees have their Birthday as paid holiday
Start Date: As soon as possible
Company Mission Statement:
To be the number one maintenance company in West London when looking for a high end and highly personable service with impeccable attention to detail. To develop a loyal client base through effective sources and word of mouth strong of the highest quality service, increasing revenue and profit margins without sacrificing quality nor recurring to intensive practices or non-environmentally friendly methods. To measure and reduce our carbon footprint year on year, being valued as a sustainable net zero company by 2030 and not damaging the planet for profit.
- Website: https://www.harryholding.co.uk/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/harryholdingdesign/
Working with us:
We are a team of young, keen horticulturalists and designers and we love what we do. The business has two branches - garden design and garden maintenance - meaning that the role is varied and that we are involved with a host of exciting projects, most notably we recently appeared on Channel 4’s Grand Designs.
Being a part of the team, every day is a joy – working hard to achieve our high standards and having a good laugh whilst doing so. We have a wonderful array of high end clients who we know well and who respect and treasure the work that we do.
We are looking for someone who is passionate in horticulture, is ready to take that next step in their career and be a key player in a rapidly growing company with endless opportunities. The right candidate will have the same tenacious motivation to get stuck into the business and our exciting projects, creating and caring for inspiring, magical gardens and will be properly recognised and rewarded for their valuable contribution.
To manage and assist the horticultural maintenance teams to deliver the highest standards held by the company. Ensure that the maintenance company assets are well managed to allow the company to operate at maximum efficiency and to continually grow, increase profit margins and upholding its reputation. Managing the operations so that the business operates efficiently whilst continuing to improve upon systems. Participating in project work (soft landscaping) and in day to day troubleshooting. Ability to take on client facing roles and, when required, provide cover for the company directors.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Scheduling – Effective management of the garden maintenance rounds of the horticultural teams as planned in the schedule, ensuring the teams have the appropriate tools, materials and information for each job.
- Client liaison – Being able to effectively and pleasantly communicate with clients as and when needed to respond their queries and noting their requests/providing them with services in the absence of the Maintenance Manager.
- Managing Tools & Materials – Ensuring that staff have the tools and materials needed to deliver the service efficiently and to a high standard. Ensuring the power tools are checked, serviced regularly and kept in perfect working order. Managing the stock of ‘perishable’ tools. Maintaining hand and power tools by creating a schedule for rotation and servicing of equipment including PAT testing. Keeping the Maintenance Manager updated about the condition of tools and quantities of materials, informing them if stocks need replenishing or if tools need repairing/replacing. Running tool-checks for equipment used regularly and stored in vans or organising this task to be carried out by supervisors.
- Work Practice Monitoring – Systematically meet teams on site to ensure that work is carried out to a high standard, according to correct professional and horticultural practice and with compliance of H&S regulations.
- Awareness of Health & Safety (H&S) – Carry out periodic H&S site inspections during maintenance operations to check that correct PPE is on site and properly used/stored and tools are in safe working order. Ensuring H&S compliance of the garden maintenance teams and processing H&S Site Inspection Forms at regular intervals.
- Vans and company vehicles - Manage and care for company vans/vehicles, keeping them clean/organised. Ensure an effective rota is enacted so that the teams keep them clean in order to uphold company image. Organising servicing, MOT and insurance when required, liaising with Maintenance Manager.
- Uniform/PPE - Managing stocks of uniform and PPE, with all employees and informing the Maintenance Manager of shortages.
- Training - Being involved in all employees’ induction and training, together with the Maintenance Manager to uphold the company’s standards and ethos.
- Project Work - Being involved with and helping to manage project work on site.
- You are expected to arrive promptly for work.
- Emails should be filed regularly and responded to in an efficient and professional manner.
- We expect all staff to join in with company events and socials where possible to help build relationships with fellow team members and to build team morale.
- All staff are expected to uphold the company values.
Day to day activities:
Split of workload will vary from week to week. A typical week would involve mostly office-based work but might require on-site work helping the teams (especially in project work) or covering leave/sickness as required. Part-remote working options are available.
Qualifications and Skills:
- A recognised horticultural qualification and previous experience in the horticulture industry are essential.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Comprehensive plant knowledge.
- Training and career development, within the role, is expected.
- Great communicator who can effectively listen and has the ability to follow up to internal and external emails and queries.
- Organised and proactive with good operational planning and ability to carry out duties in full autonomy.
- Excellent self-management with the ability to prioritise and multi task.
- Ability to work well within a team with excellent interpersonal and influencing/motivating skills, happy teams are productive teams.
- Good PC skills including Excel, Word (or Pages) & PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work on own initiative with a proactive and flexible attitude to meet the needs and demands of the role.
- Ability to demonstrate a passion for the HH Garden Maintenance / Design brand and the ethos.
- Experience with power tools including pedestrian mowers, scarifiers, hedge trimers, power washers, strimmers, drills, wacker plates etc. Experience with cordless tools is welcomed but not essential, training on the use/servicing of them will be provided.
- Experience with irrigation systems.
- Experience with water features is desirable/advantageous but not essential.