Dodington Park Estate is on the boundary between South Gloucestershire and the county of Bristol balanced on the Cotswold Escarpment. At the centre of the estate is Dodington House an 18th Century Georgian mansion which is currently being used as a private home.
When you come to work at Dodington Park, you’ll be joining a team of dedicated staff who work towards the renovation and maintenance of the house and surrounding estate, where we always strive to achieve the highest possible standards of work and craftsmanship
We are currently looking for a Grounds Manager to join the established team. You will work with the rest of the team to achieve the highest standards on the Estate.
- Day to day management of the grounds of Dodington Park Estate, including parkland, grass areas, woodlands, pheasant pens, gardens, arboretums and open areas.
- Principal accountability for care and maintenance of relevant areas of DPE. This includes ensuring that trees and hedges are kept in a safe and healthy condition, cutting of grass and planting trees and shrubs.
- Ordering relevant kit, tools, plant and other items required for the role/department.
- Organising repairs, tax, MOTs and servicing of machinery, plant, vehicles and mowers.
- Organising maintenance works and allocating work for the team.
- Writing annual works maintenance schedules for the team and supervising/organising maintenance works on a daily/weekly basis.
- Overseeing and writing of risk assessments and lifting plans.
- Organising and dealing with contractors.
- Liaising with other managers and colleagues to ensure workflow remains efficient and coordinated with other departments.
- Manage a team with a diverse workload, from general repair and maintenance work to specialist/technically complex projects.
- Create, manage and monitor your team’s budget.
- Manage your team’s workload - planning aims, objectives and priorities.
- Carry out Toolbox Talks, Team Briefings and one-to-ones.
- Conduct performance appraisals.
- Committed to continuous development of skills and knowledge, undergoing training where necessary.
- Any other ad hoc duties.
- Work with the Health & Safety Manager/Consultants as required, within remit of role.
- Act as a Health and Safety role model.
- Proactively promote and maintain high standards across the Estate.
- Ensure all HSE procedures are complied with by all persons under your supervision and that the relevant health and safety documentation in place, prior to commencing work
- Promote best working practices & ensure safe systems of work are followed by the team.
Person specification / Core Competencies:
- Significant experience within a similar role.
- Ideally a member of the Institute of Groundsmanship or equivalent body.
- Whilst a horticultural background is not essential, a demonstrable interest in gardening/nature is required.
- Good knowledge of arboriculture.
- A knowledge and practical application of the Health and Safety at Work Act and associated legislation. In particular, competence in the handling of chemicals or fuels and the safe operation of various types of machinery and plant.
- An interest in conservation management together with knowledge of statutory compliance in this respect.
- Valid driving license
- Excellent organisational skills
- Computer literate
- Professional manner
- Confident numeracy skills
- Confident communication skills
- Proactive and flexible approach to work
- Strong sense of discretion, appreciating the confidentiality of the work
- Ability to work autonomously whilst possessing strong teamwork skills
In return, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package including Company pension scheme, 25 days holiday p/a plus bank holidays, life assurance and access to wellbeing resources.