The Harris Garden is the University of Reading’s 6 hectare former botanic garden. Set within the wider Whiteknights campus it contains a variety of rare and significant plants displayed alongside themed herbaceous and shrub borders, meadows, formal shaped hedges, orchards, and specimen trees.
As Senior Gardener you will be responsible for taking the lead in the day-to-day maintenance of the garden, working to maintain the important collection of plants whilst ensuring that the garden is a safe place for the visiting public.
Working with the Harris Garden Volunteer Coordinator you will manage a capable and experienced weekly volunteer group; and in collaboration with Grounds management and key stakeholders you will contribute to the short and long-term planning of the garden.
You will have:
• Experience of working in public green spaces, or working with complex plant collections
• Good horticultural skills, knowledge, and a recognised horticultural qualification
• A good understanding of the working practices and health and safety issues associated with grounds maintenance operations
• Good communication and organisational skills
• The ability to motivate, encourage, and teach others
• The ability to show initiative and work pro-actively
• A UK valid driving license
Interview date: 19th January 2022