A fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic, skilled gardener for the Victorian kitchen garden at Scawby Hall, a family-owned manor house and gardens in North Lincolnshire. We are offering a generous salary in line with the Professional Gardeners Guild Salary Guidelines for 2021 with a pension scheme.
The grounds comprise a 3-acre kitchen garden plus another 4 acres.
The successful candidate must be enthusiastic, energetic, highly organised, physically fit and confident working on their own. They must be self-motivated, passionate and take pride in their work, whilst being able to manage and prioritise their time and that of two part-time groundsmen. Scawby Hall is part of a working agricultural and forestry estate, and at times the gardener may be asked to assist elsewhere on the estate. The gardener may also assist in the general upkeep of the exterior of the hall and its security from time to time.
The gardener will report to the owner and will have daily responsibility for the maintenance and continuous development of the garden. The owner is looking for someone who wants to be part of an estate team, enjoys gardening and works well with others.
The gardens at Scawby Hall are currently open to the public 28 days of the year. The gardener should be comfortable engaging with the public and assisting with the opening, including selling plants and produce from time to time. The gardener will also assist selling Christmas trees grown on the estate from the kitchen garden in December.
A good level of health and safety knowledge is important, and competency in the operation and basic maintenance of garden machinery is also useful. The successful candidate will be able to identify a wide range of plants, pests and diseases, together with knowledge of how plants can thrive, preferably with a RHS Horticulture Level 2 Certificate, a PA1/PA6 spraying certificate and a chainsaw certificate (or willingness to take training courses). Applicants will be required to have a valid driving license.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain and enhance all garden areas of Scawby Hall, maintaining an exceptional presentation at all times.
- Responsible for managing the two part-time grounds staff.
- Ensure the gardens team works in a safe, secure and legally-compliant environment, including fulfilling health and safety obligations and ensuring appropriate use of PPE.
- Ensure all garden tools and machinery are properly serviced and maintained at all times and are safe to use.
- Prune garden trees and evaluate trees for potential risks to employees and the public.
- Take an active role in the design, improvement and development of the gardens.
- Sourcing and ordering materials for gardens.
- Assist visitors of the garden, including ensuring health and safety of visitors and selling excess produce and/or plants during the 28 open days.
Hours: 7:30 am – 5pm Monday to Thursday, 7:30 am to 12:30 pm Friday (although the gardener may be required to have some seasonal flexibility). Occasional overtime/weekend work will be required during Scawby Hall open times.
Job Type: Full-time