Gardener/Caretaker – Private Home – Live-in Position
An experienced gardener is required to take over, maintain and develop the gardens/grounds of a large period country home in East Northamptonshire. This is a permanent, live in position, working for a busy family.
This varied and interesting role will primarily be the maintenance and development of the grounds but will include associated duties; mainly the general security and upkeep of the home and care for family dogs.
The house is a beautiful period property in a picturesque part of the country dating back to 17th Century and stands in approx. 14 acres of parkland, mature gardens, newly developed formal gardens, a walled garden and tennis court. The gardens comprise of some formal lawns, mixed beds/boarders, wildflower meadow areas, yews and boxes, a variety of flowers and mixed fruit trees. The family has spent two years refurbishing and restoring the house and surrounding grounds to a very high standard and needs an enthusiastic person who enjoys taking the initiative and working independently.
The candidate would be responsible for a wide range of duties including:
- Year-round grass cutting and maintenance,
- Hedge cutting and tree care,
- Seasonal pruning,
- Weeding and caring for ornamental borders,
- Identification and treatment of plant pests.
Other associated duties will include:
- General maintenance/clearing of guttering
- Restocking of log store,
- Taking bins out for collection,
- Receiving deliveries,
- General maintenance and upkeep of the house,
- Securing home when family away,
- Care of dogs if necessary,
- Occasional driving.
Similar experience of working for a private home useful and as a sole gardener beneficial. Applicants should be physically fit and expect an all-weather ‘hands on’ approach to the job and a willingness to carry out other associated duties as they arise.
A flexible, positive and helpful attitude coupled with a conscientious, pro-active and hard-working approach is essential. Candidates must have good communication skills and must be able to take direction at times in relation to overall vision of development of garden and to liaise with external contractors as needed. Must enjoy working independently, organised and tidy.
Candidates should be:
- Competent in operation and maintenance of a wide range of garden machinery.
- Ideally be qualified RHS Level 2 horticulture, but relevant experience will be taken into full consideration.
- Able to provide references.
- Full UK driving licence required with few endorsements.
- A shotgun licence would be very helpful
Hours: 45 hour working week with a flexible two days off per week.
Holiday entitlement includes 28 days (including bank holidays)
Salary: £28,000 - £30,000 DOE
Car: House car provided for work purposes.
Accommodation is a bright and cosy stable flat with pretty views. It is self-contained with own entrance, two bedroom and kitchen area and utility/boiler room. Space available for own car. Ideally this suits a single person, but consideration will be given to partners depending upon individual circumstances. Non-smoker preferred. No pets. Utilities (heating and electricity) included, Council Tax is responsibility of the applicant.
Location: Oundle, East Northamptonshire