Mortlake Crematorium Board prides itself on delivering an excellent service to bereaved families. We are a small team that carries out more than 2,500 funerals a year, in a professional and caring way.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated person to join our team as Gardener and Landscape Officer. You will hold a Diploma in Horticulture or have a RHS / NVQ Level 3 in Amenity Horticulture.
You will be responsible for maintaining the grounds, leading a small team and implementing improvements to ensure they meet the needs of bereaved families. You will have a proven record ofe excellent horticultural skills and seasonal bedding design.
You will be passionate about service delivery and relish working with “a hands on approach”. You will want to achieve external verification such as Green Flag status and ICCM’s Charter for the Bereaved Gold standard.
You will excel in leading, training, and motivating individuals, that results in beautifully kept gardens and grounds.
You will care about the environment and work in a way that protects and enhances it.
The Board will also support the successful candidate in your personal development by supporting training which benefits the organisation and the individual.
- To lead and manage gardening staff, including identification of their training and development needs and providing training where necessary.
- To maintain the grounds for the Garden of Remembrance, giving due regard to the upkeep of the lawns, borders, memorial beds, ornamental features, hedging and trees and to order all necessary tools, sundries, and plants to an agreed budget.
- To drive the company vehicles as necessary and to ensure all machinery is properly maintained and used in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.
- To promote a positive image of the Crematorium service by working with community groups for example the local schools with garden projects.
- To liaise with the Superintendent in order that specialist contractors / companies can tender for agreed works and oversee all contractors.
- Prepare and maintain risk assessments for the work you and your team do in the gardens and the machinery you use.
- To liaise with all crematorium staff to ensure ashes are scattered and treated in accordance with guidance and policy issued by the ICCM Undertake all relevant and compulsory training.
- To undertake all duties and inter-actions with employees, partner providers and customers fairly, without unlawful discrimination and with due regard to the Board’s Diversity and Equality in Employment and Service Delivery policies.
Education & Qualifications
- Diploma in Horticulture or NVQ Level 3 - Amenity Horticulture
- NVQ Level 2 – Team Leading
- PA1 and PA6 certificate in Application of Pesticides and Herbicides
- Qualification in First Aid
- A1 Assessor Award or TAQA (Training, Assessment and Quality Assurance Practitioners)
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven experience of maintaining large gardens to an excellent standard
- Proven experience of leading, training, and managing a team
- Able to demonstrate a passion for all aspects of gardening and horticulture to an outstanding level
- Experience of maintaining grounds in an environmentally friendly way
- Excellent knowledge of plants and planting
- An understanding of design principles and maintenance scheduling
- Experience of developing planting plans, implementing and maintaining a range of plant groups, including roses, shrubs, perennials and climbers
- Proven experience of lawn maintenance
- Good working knowledge of Health & Safety legislation.
- Experience of working with community groups
- An understanding of bereaved people and service sensitivity
Skills and abilities
- Proven ability of motivating and leading a small team
- Proven ability of managing and maintaining a budget
- An ability to develop and implement new areas which may include memorial options
- Keeping up to date with professional development and attendance of training as identified
- Management of staff
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of why diversity and equality are important in employment and service delivery.
- Ability to respond positively to new challenges
- Creative design flair with a passion to improve the gardens for bereaved people
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work outside in all weathers
- Self motivated
- Ability to respond to sudden change and unforeseen pressure
- Good punctuality and time keeping
- Well presented
If you feel you have the qualities to join us, we would like to hear from you. Please email email@example.com with your covering letter and CV.