Grower (full-time position):
5 days a week (working four weekdays and one weekend day)
We grow more than 750,000 bedding plants per year in our modern nursery production area which sits behind our Tiptree Garden Centre. We are looking for a team player with experience of growing in a commercial environment, ideally with current certificates in spraying, pest & disease control etc.
- Carrying out roles as required to produce plants in our nursery.
- Operating nursery machinery such as potting machine, seeder & transplanting machine
- Moving stock around – manually and with machinery
- General maintenance and plant care – could include watering & irrigation, weeding, pruning, propagation, cleaning etc.
- Labeling of products
- Grading and sorting plants as required
- Assist in the day to day supervision of the nursery team
- Assist in task planning with the nursery production manager, and ensure that the plan is delivered each day
- Monitor / maintain production quality, and assist in training unskilled team members. Lead by example and provide constructive feedback
- Deputise for the nursery production manager in their absence
- Pest and disease control in greenhouses, and across wider garden centre. Will include spraying using knapsack and pedestrian trolley sprayer (PA1 & PA6 certificate required) and biological pest control
- Work closely with retail Plant Area team, to ensure plants are ready for dispatch and they are regularly notified of crop readiness schedules. Occasionally assist in retail areas e.g. moving plants and stocking up, labelling, cleaning
- On occasion you may be required to visit our second site at Sudbury, to monitor crops and assist with pest and disease control
- Ability to work both inside and outside in varied weather conditions
- You must be able to bend, lift and pull/push trolleys and barrows
- Ability to work as a member of a team, and able to operate in a fast-paced commercial facility
- Ability to use your own initiative, and you can quickly get to grips with ever changing crops, seasons and retail demands
- A keen interest in plants and related products, and current experience of growing within a commercial environment
- You’ll need to work five days a week (working four weekdays and one alternating weekend day)
- Flexibility to work additional or varied hours according to seasonal requirements (for example spraying plant protection products outside normal working hours)
- You’ll need to work some bank holidays (as part of a rota with other assistants) and will be paid time and a half
- Experience of working in a production nursery, Garden Centre or similar environment is essential
- Excellent bedding plant knowledge essential
- Good communication skills essential
- Current certificates in fork-lift truck driving and spraying / pest & disease control preferred, but training will be given if necessary
- Report into Nursery Production Manager
- Work closely with Nursery Assistants and Plant Area Managers / Experts / Assistants
- Occasionally work with other managers and office staff
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to the hourly wage, you will receive the following benefits:
- Discount – after one year, employees are entitled to receive a 30% discount for the garden centre (some exceptions apply)
- Paid holiday – holiday entitlement is 28 days per year, (pro-rata for part time, including bank holidays). Some restrictions to taking holiday apply.
- Annual Christmas bonus
- Part-uniform provided
- Employee Assistance Programme - a confidential personal and professional support service available to all employees and their immediate families 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Training and development, as required. We have an e-learning scheme, and also take part in training with product suppliers and external trainers
- Workplace pension
- Free parking