Fantastic opportunity for an experienced Head Gardener to work at a prestigious private estate in the Hampstead area and take responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of all landscaped areas within this beautiful estate.
You will be hands on, passionate about maintaining very high standards, happy to work autonomously but also take control and plan work for a small team, whilst meeting the clients expectation.
You will have the support of two gardeners, with potential to expand the team in the future.
Ground facilities include an office cabin and toilet (parking is available nearby).
- Full time permanent rol
- Reports into the Maintenance Manager (remotely)
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 4:30pm
- 20 days annual leave
- Company mobile phone
Summary of responsibilities and duties:
- Maintenance and upkeep of all lawn areas, trees, shrubs, parkland and woodland to high standards, including the planning and implementation of seasonal treatments.
- General maintenance of all herbaceous boarders including weeding, seasonal pruning, cutting back and correct management of pest and diseases.
- Creating written plans and schedules for weekly and seasonal tasks in the garden.
- Liaising with the estate manager, other on-site contractors and our clients head office.
- Pond maintenance.
- Placing orders for tools, plant and other necessary equipment.
- Controlling and monitoring the inventory of tools supplied.
- Ensuring that all mechanical equipment is correctly fuelled, maintained and kept in proper working order.
- Cleaning of paved areas.
- Implement safety policies and procedures on site.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Significant practical experience in horticulture, supported by an appropriate qualification
- Sound knowledge of standard horticultural practices (planting, pruning, fertilising, etc), growth characteristics and identification of a wide variety of plants
- Up-to-date working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment used in garden maintenance operations
- Significant experience with irrigation systems and able to identify signs of over/under watering
- Problem solver - ability to identify and resolve issues with speed
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Strong attention to detail.