Head Grower/Production Manager
The Production Manager is part of the company’s senior management team, working closely with the directors and other senior managers so a commercial approach to the business requirements of an online plant nursery is necessary. This is not a passive role simply responding to instructions. Instead, you will be an active and innovative contributor to the development of the business. You are expected to generate new ideas, have input into which of these are to be pursued and then help execute whatever plan is decided upon.
You have relevant qualifications, good experience and probably feel restricted in your present job. You will be interested in and have a preparedness to learn about the peculiarities of growing plants for sale online. You will be happy on social media and in front of a camera.
You will need the following:
- Good experience and training in protected growing (polytunnels), soft (and top) fruit and hardy nursery stock.
- The ability to grow and manage horticultural crops from seed (sweet peas, cosmos, herbs) as well as understanding the propagation of other subjects - principally from cuttings.
- Ability to maintain - and an understanding of the importance of - growing and cultural records.
- The preparedness and ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel in greenhouse operations and in proper horticultural methods and techniques of growing.
- An understanding of synchronized crop delivery and crop management which are both are key, as is managing crop growing programs.
- A science-based appreciation of plant health and culture and experience of commercial nursery/growing. Obviously, this area requires a good knowledge of pests, diseases, treatment, chemicals and growing media.
- A real wish to manage and to build a team, leading from the front and at the same time constantly seeking to improve efficiencies, lower costs and improve quality.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Attractive Package with OTE up to £50,000.00 per year
- Bonus scheme
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
Schedule: Monday to Friday
We have operated at full capacity from the outbreak of Covid to the present day by taking all precautions required by law plus additional steps we felt necessary
- Are you used to managing a nursery team?
- commercial growing: 8 years (preferred)
Send CV with application