An exciting position as Assistant Head Gardener has been created at Sculpture by the Lakes, Dorset's premier sculpture park and garden. Set across 26 acres near Dorchester, the park runs alongside Dorset's SSSI River Frome, with three large lakes, several small ponds, spring-fed streams and woodland paths, as well as more formal gardens and a quarter acre kitchen garden.
The gardens and sculpture park were created by Simon and Monique Gudgeon and opened in 2011. The garden team consists of the owner/head gardener, two full time staff, Head Kitchen Gardener, plus three part-time garden staff and a small volunteer team.
The role includes the following:
* responsibility for assisting the owner/head gardener in the maintenance of all aspects of the garden with particular emphasis on tree and woody plant management. Also plant propagation, planting of trees and shrubs, pruning and maintenance of existing beds and borders.
* assisting with planning and development of the woody plant and tree collection
* involvement with developing the garden and park with the ultimate goal of achieving botanic garden accreditation
* assisting with management of work schedules with the gardens team.
* assisting with creation and ongoing maintenance of the plant collection database
What we need:
* an enthusiastic, energetic and knowledgeable individual with excellent plant understanding
* preferably holding HNC or HND in Horticulture, or equivalent
* who has the ability to work within a team or independently
* is confident and has good communication skills
* is organised and self-motivated
* has a valid driving licence
What we offer
* a competitive salary package, dependent on experience and qualifications, between £24,000 and £28,000
* company pension scheme
* holiday entitlement of 20 days annually plus bank holidays
* staff discount in Cafe and shop
* hours are Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm from 1st April to 30th September and 9am to 4pm from 1st October to 31st March.
* position does not include accommodation.
Please send covering letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org www.sculpturebythelakes.co.uk