The formal gardens are one of the main attractions at Longleat and feature herbaceous borders, a yew tree hedge maze and various large water features. The estate also boasts a lake and expansive lawns, along with areas ready for preservation and reopening to the public.
We’re an organisation driven by our core cultural values, which are to engage and inspire, put people first, take accountability, continuously improve and to act with integrity. We believe everyone who works at Longleat can subscribe to these values, and that they truly set us apart as a place to work.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Lead Gardener to join our team, you will be assisting with the day to day maintenance and development of our outstanding outdoor space including our capability brown landscape and formal gardens such as the love labyrinth and secret garden.
What will this role entail?
Reporting to the Grounds and Gardens Manager, you will be helping to ensure the highest standards of conservation, horticulture and Guest experience.
Key duties will include:
- Cutting and maintaining lawns and grass to a variety of finishes using a variety of machines including ride on mowers, strimmer’s and brush cutters including pesticide application.
- Maintenance of a variety of hedges, wall shrubs, climbers, borders including weeding and pruning
- Planting up, feeding, watering and staking high grade borders and displays in formal gardens and Attraction areas.
- Maintaining tools and equipment in correct and safe manner
- Plan and schedule works appropriately to include any projects set out by the Grounds and Gardens Manager.
- Support development of and motivate, a small team of gardeners, creating a collaborative environment.
- Plan and implement with agreement of Grounds and Gardens Manager seasonal displays.
- Be responsible for the cleanliness and neatness of your work area inclusive of vehicles and equipment and those of your direct team.
- Ensure that all training is undertaken to NPTC or Lantra certification and where appropriate undertake all generic or site specific risk assessments.
What will I need to be considered for this vacancy?
You will have hands on experience in a grounds or gardens role with an excellent ability to work on your own initiative.
- Trained as a professional gardener / horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience. (NVQ level 2 minimum)
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- PA1 PA 6A Pesticides certificate
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a knowledge of plants
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance.
- Full clean driving licence
What will I receive in return?
As a Lead Gardener you will receive a salary of up to £22,000 per annum in addition to a range of attractive benefits that include;
- 29 days’ holiday inclusive of bank holidays
- Complimentary tickets to Longleat
- Discounts on food and beverages and retail merchandise
- Company Pension
- Life assurance cover and more perks.
You’ll be employed on a permanent 40 hour contract working 5 days out of 7, including weekends, evening and bank holidays as required. Working hours varying in accordance with opening times.
Location: Longleat (Warminster, Wiltshire)
All applications to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.