Grounds and Gardens Manager
The formal gardens are one of the main attractions at Longleat and feature herbaceous borders, a yew tree hedge maze and various large water features. The estate also boasts a lake and expansive lawns, along with areas ready for preservation and reopening to the public.
We’re an organisation driven by our core cultural values, which are to engage and inspire, put people first, take accountability, continuously improve and to act with integrity. We believe everyone who works at Longleat can subscribe to these values, and that they truly set us apart as a place to work.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Grounds and Gardens Manager to join our team. You will lead by example and inspire a team of gardeners to develop and deliver a clear and coherent vision for the garden’s future direction.
What will this role entail?
Reporting to the Director of Estate, Property and Maintenance you will be required to utilise an appreciation for the heritage contained within the Longleat Estate gardens and grounds, using demonstrable skills and experience, to ensure Longleat exceeds expectations with respect to standards of conservation, presentation and engagement. Your bedrock will be the Longleat Estate Heritage Management Plan.
You will also take responsibility for both strategic and operational matters relating to Gardens and Grounds across the Longleat Estate parkland and related properties within the boundary.
Key duties will include:
- Plan, direct, manage, and lead the overall operation of the grounds and gardens department to maintain a safe and attractive landscape, including assigning, training and evaluating work for grounds areas owned or operated by Longleat Enterprises Ltd.
- Develop, implement and evaluate necessary policies, procedures and practices for turf, plant and tree care, irrigation, Storm Water Management and Integrated Pest Management.
- Responsible for budget preparation and management; coordinate the requisitioning and purchasing of grounds supplies and equipment; control and authorise expenditures in accordance with established limitations and purchasing rules.
- Provide leadership, supervision, evaluation, guidance and direction for the grounds and gardens team.
- Responsible for recruitment, training and evaluation. Promote staff development, technical training and morale
What will I need to be considered for this vacancy?
You will be a strong leader with a friendly and approachable nature. You will have the ability to work well in a team and maintain good relationships.
- NVQ level 3, RHS level 3, degree level or equivalent
- A number of years’ experience of running a similar department is essential.
- A passion for and great understanding of plants and horticulture
- Great attention to detail and a desire to maintain the grounds to the highest standards
- Able to adapt to, manage and deliver change through the gardens team effectively
- Excellent communication skills
- IT skills, in particular Microsoft suite, with confidence in learning new systems
- Be commercially astute, able to manage budgets and always looking for ways to maximise opportunities
What will I receive in return?
As a Grounds and Gardens Manager you will receive a salary of £30,750 - £35,000 per annum depending on experience, in addition to a range of attractive benefits that include;
- 29 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays
- Complimentary tickets to Longleat
- Discounts on food and beverages and retail merchandise
- Company Pension
- Life assurance cover and more perks.
You’ll be employed on a permanent 40-hour contract, working 5 days out of 7, including weekends, evening and bank holidays as required. Start and finish times varying in accordance with opening times.
Location: Longleat (Warminster, Wiltshire)