Roehampton Club was established in 1901 as the place where the society set of the Capital came to play sport. Over the decades we have evolved to become one of the finest sporting venues and now foster talented juniors who are excelling to become top sports stars of the future. Set within the historic parkland of southwest London, the estate of the Roehampton Club comprises of beautiful Edwardian gardens which presents a wide range of horticultural interest for its membership, which includes: formal lawns, yew hedges, herbaceous borders, water features and seasonal planting areas. Over the last number of years we have been developing the concept of expanding the horticultural context out to the golf course, by creating island planting on the course to add a colour and give definition to the site. This master plan is work out in collaboration with Fisher Tomlin and Bowers which has been a successful partnership for all parties. We are keen to develop our conservation status and stewardship of the estate for future generations.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Head Gardener at one of England’s most sought after private sports clubs
Desirable skills and experience sought:
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate a small team of garden staff.
- Strong plant knowledge and a passion for plants.
- RHS Level 3 or equivalent (or studying towards perhaps)
- Possess PA1 / 6 Spray certification
- Experience of maintenance schedule for all represented horticultural areas.
- Be able to plan and design planting areas and organize buying process (tenders and purchasing processes)
- Organized with good time management skills and be a good communicator.
- Need to be flexible and collaborative towards other departments of the Club
- Be self-motivated and to work independently and still have the ability to work well as be part a highly functional department who look after all sports areas
- Ability to operate all garden machinery, typically associated with garden care
- Conditions of Contract
- Salary dependent upon skills and qualifications up to of £35,000 p.a
- Overtime for weekend work and hours over contracted basis
- Generous company private pension scheme
- Bi yearly staff bonus after qualifying period
- Meals whilst on duty
- All uniform and all PPE supplied
- Use of sports facilities in line with Club policy
- Further training and personal development programme available
- Onsite staff accommodation may be available
- Parking on site
The Club is a Gold accredited Investor in People employer.
To apply for the role please supply a C.V. and covering letter detailing how you meet the criteria for the role to Peter Bradburn, Course & Grounds Manager email firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of 22nd October 2021.