Deputy Head Gardener
An excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and skilled gardener. Join our gardening team at Aldourie Castle, as we make and develop an exceptional new Tom Stuart Smith garden on the banks of Loch Ness.
Location: Aldourie Castle, Inverness
Hours: Full time
An excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and skilled gardener to join our gardening team at Aldourie Castle as we make and develop an exceptional new Scottish garden. The owner has commissioned landscape designer Tom Stuart-Smith in this ambitious project, which is nearing completion, a contemporary reimagining of a historic castle garden on a 500 acre estate on the shore of Loch Ness near Inverness.
The position will offer an opportunity to develop your practical, managerial, and organisational skill sets. Additionally, there will be an emphasis on plantsmanship and developing an understanding of design under the guidance of an experienced Head Gardener. Aldourie comprises of a castle garden and walled garden, which contain extensive naturalistic herbaceous plantings as well as vegetable and fruit areas. There are also glasshouses, an arboretum and parkland.
Key aspect of the role include:
- To collaborate with the Head Gardener providing input on direction
- To assist the Head Gardener in the daily planning of tasks
- To take the place of the Head Gardener when he is not on site
- To provide an example for junior members of the team
- To ensure that daily plans are carried out smoothly and efficiently
- As a senior member of the garden team ensuring high quality standards are maintained, giving training and support where required
- Supervision and coordination of the cut flower section, assisting the gardener who manages that section where required
- Supervisor for our HBG trainee student
- To deliver formal training talks to the students and staff as required
The successful candidate will be a passionate, confident and knowledgeable gardener, who has a good understanding of plants and horticultural techniques.
They should have an HNC or HND in Horticulture (or equivalent) and quality experience working in this type of garden.
They will join the Head Gardener Elliott Forsyth and the team to help with the continuing development of this very special garden. A commitment to quality and a willingness to improve and deepen as a gardener together with positive hard-working attitude is essential. The ability to work well as part of friendly team is also important.
Due to the location of the castle the applicant must hold a current valid driving license and have their own transport.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications by: 27th September 2021