Responsible to: Head Gardener
General Scope and Purpose
Work alongside the garden team to ensure that the gardens are ready for occupation at all times. Ensure that the gardens are presented to the highest standard in the most efficient manner possible.
- A can do attitude, including a willingness to work flexibly and to support the wider organisation and its goals.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Assist in planting and maintaining a wide variety of plants and shrubs.
- Apply manures and mulches.
- Maintain garden paths in a clean and safe condition, including pressure washing, weeding and brooming. Application of algicides where appropriate.
- Use, and be responsible for the safe operation of all hand tools and machinery within the gardens, ensuring that safe working practices and all health and safety regulations are observed at all times.
- Assist in the maintenance of all the garden water features to ensure adequate flow, presentation and cleaning.
- Clearing all garden debris and composting of garden waste.
- To ensure all workshop and plant areas are maintained in an immaculate condition, adopting a clean as you go attitude
- Ensuring that the uniform standard is maintained, clean and in an excellent condition
- Maintain effective communication within the department and ensure that the Management are kept informed of any problems or queries that have arisen
- To greet and maintain an excellent working relationship with colleagues
- Ability to work efficiently on an independent basis as well as within a wider team
- The ability to work flexibly and under pressure, sometimes with limited notice to cover periods of high intensity.
- To carry out any other duties that may be reasonably requested by the Head Gardener or member of the senior management team
Health & Safety
- To ensure that all work undertaken is done so in a safe manner and in accordance with relevant approved codes of practice
- To wear appropriate protective clothing provided by or recommended by the Company.
- To be aware of and comply with safe working practices as laid down under the Health and Safety Acts as applicable to your place of work. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards at your work place.
- To ensure that any accidents to staff, guests or visitors are reported in accordance with correct procedures.
- To be fully conversant with the risk assessments for your department
- To comply with all Health & Safety regulation including fire safety procedures to ensure the safety of yourself, staff, contractors and Principals
To attend all training courses as and when required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
At least 2 years experience in a similar role.
Good written and spoken English skills.
Previous professional gardening experience gained in a large garden.
A passion for horticulture
Willing to learn new skills and enhance current knowledge.
- Total discretion is required by the Principals at all time.
- This is a demanding and high, pressure role supporting the running of a private estate at the highest level. This role would best suit someone who is willing to learn and develop.
- The ongoing training and investment in this person is a reflection of the value placed on the staff by the Principals.
- A uniform will be provided.
This Job Description cannot be exhaustive due to the requirements of the Principals and business. Therefore, the job holder may be required from time to time to carry out other tasks as requested by the Management.
Hours 37.5 hours per week.
Overtime may be needed on occcasion and can be paid as overtime or time taken as days off in the week.