Position: Gardener, Highgrove two positions available.
Reports to: Production Garden Team Leader
Salary: TBC dependent upon experience
Job Summary: To work as an integral and effective part of the garden team at Highgrove, ensuring that the garden is maintained to the highest possible standards at all times.
The Prince’s Foundation
The Prince’s Foundation provides holistic solutions to challenges facing the world today. We champion a sustainable approach to how we live our lives and build our communities, we run a diverse programme of education and training for all ages and backgrounds, and we regenerate and care for places where communities thrive and that visitors enjoy.
We work nationally and internationally but at the heart of our organisation is the heritage-led regeneration of the Dumfries House estate and its wider community, where our principles and philosophies are explored and put into practice.
The work of The Prince’s Foundation is inspired by The Prince of Wales’s philosophy of harmony: that by understanding the balance, the order and the relationships between ourselves and the natural world we can create a more sustainable future.
The Prince’s Foundation has taken on the stewardship of the Highgrove Gardens, which will include the delivery of education courses on the estate.
Location: Highgrove Gardens
The Role: To work as an integral and effective part of the garden team at Highgrove, ensuring that the garden is maintained to the highest possible standards at all times.
Main Areas of Responsibility:
- To undertake and assist with the seasonal maintenance and development of beds, borders, paths and structures wherever necessary in the Garden. Tasks will include:
- Maintenance of extensive herbaceous plantings to include dead-heading, staking, tying-in, division, feeding and watering;
- Maintenance of paths, ornamental hedges and design features;
- High-access work to maintain high level features;
- Shrub and specimen tree maintenance;
- Involved in production work in the Kitchen Garden, Nursery and Orchards;
- Topiary trimming, maintenance and development;
- Maintenance of water features/formal ponds;
- Lawn cutting and maintenance;
- Coppicing for plant support materials;
- Organic weed control;
- Leaf clearance;
- Shared maintenance of compost systems;
- Maintain an awareness of, and uphold the principles behind the organisation of the gardens and presentation standards;
- Ensure that relevant organic theories are put into practice;
- Ensure that all tools and machinery are correctly used, maintained and stored;
- Work across other areas of the Garden at Highgrove, and pro-actively seek additional tasks when not busy;
- Help with the garden tours when requested;
- To work unsupervised and also as a member of the team, communicating effectively to Production Garden Team Leader and other garden and estate staff;
- Supervise trainee/student garden staff, as and when required;
- Comply with all Health and Safety rules and regulations ensuring own and others’ Health and Safety at all times;
- Any other duties as requested by The Head Gardener or Team Leaders.
- Hours of Work: Normally 0800 - 1700, Monday to Friday, (40 hours per week, plus unpaid lunch break). Extra weekend watering duties are required on a rota basis.
Additional Information: The job involves carrying out demanding and repetitive physical tasks
Other: RHS Level 2 or equivalent desirable
Applications: Please submit a cover letter and CV (please note one A4 page maximum each for CV and letter)
Closing date for applications: 15th August 2021