An experienced Senior Gardener is required for large country gardens and grounds in West Sussex. The gardens comprise two historic gardens, two walled gardens, woodland areas and wildflower meadows. The appointed person will be required to work as part of a small, dedicated team overseen by a Head Gardener and work in creative partnership with the Employer. Applicants will need to be physically fit, have a detailed knowledge of horticulture (ideally Level 2 or 3 RHS Horticulture qualification or equivalent), have at least five years’ experience in working as part of a team and executing tasks alone, and being conscious of health and safety requirements.
There are potential career development possibilities for the right candidate.
The applicant will need to be able to work as part of a team, showing leadership potential, and execute tasks in the garden on their own. The role will cover a wide range of work, which will include:
- Daily Horticultural management
- Strategic maintenance
- Being able to lead a small team of gardeners
- Organising and maintaining daily garden records
- Use of garden machinery and chemicals, including hedge trimmers, pedestrian and ride-on mowers, tractors etc.
- Pool care
Skills required for The Role:
Suitable applicants will have:
- Extensive knowledge of plant and tree identification and management. ξ Significant practical experience in horticulture supported by relevant qualifications (Level 2 or 3 RHS or equivalent).
- At least five years’ post qualifying full time work experience.
- Have supervisory experience from a similar role.
- Knowledge and experience of implementing relevant health and safety legislation and practice.
- Experience processing paperwork relevant to this role.
- Good communication skills within a team environment, as well as being motivated to work alone.
- Full clean driving licence.
Additional skills might include:
- An appreciation of conservation, farming and forestry practices in a modern changing countryside.
- Extensive grounds maintenance experience including pool care.
- Mechanics, carpentry and metal working skills.
A proven passion for horticulture is essential, as are good organisational and people management skills, enthusiasm and a positive attitude. This job can be physically demanding. Successful applicants will be subject to DBS checks.
All applicants need to submit a full CV with covering letter.
Type: Full Time
Hours: 8am – 5pm (4pm on Friday)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Working Days: Hours may involve working weekends across a seven-day week pattern.
Commensurate with experience and in reference to the Professional Gardener’s Guild Salary Guidelines.