If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.
Hours: 37.5 per week
Salary: £19,928 per annum
What it's like to work here
The Bateman’s and Bodiam Castle portfolio consists of two very different properties run by one passionate team.
Bodiam Castle is an impressive 14th century moated castle and one of the most famous castles in Britain. The spiral staircases and original features make for an ever-inspiring atmosphere with a strong spring and summer business appealing to tourists, families and school groups from the UK and overseas.
Ten miles away in Burwash nestles Bateman’s, the former home of Rudyard Kipling. This 17th century house remains much the same as the world-famous writer left it. Batemans has a real family feel, with a team who will give you a warm welcome. The garden and landscape at Bateman's provided the inspiration for Rudyard's medical tales in Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies.
Nestled in a peaceful corner of East Sussex with beautiful surrounding, this is a great place to live and work.
What you'll be doing
As a hands-on Gardener, you’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard. You’ll be passionate and enthused and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the garden. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns. You’ll also take ownership of specific areas of the garden ensuring the highest standards are maintained and healthy plants are available for our visitors to enjoy.
You’ll also support garden volunteers and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 6th July
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience.
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance.
Benefits for working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.