We are looking for an assistant gardener for Chevithorne Barton gardens in Mid Devon. The right person will be knowledgeable, enthusiastic, flexible and a supportive member of a small team. There is a cottage available with plenty of outside space and the potential to keep animals. The gardens were originally laid out as a wild garden influenced by William Robinson and admired by Lanning Roper. In recent decades, it has become the home to the National collection of Quercus, with over 440 differently named oaks. The house and gardens are part of a working farm. The gardens include borders, woodland gardens, an arboretum, orchards and a vegetable garden You’ll be joining the team at an exciting and challenging time as we expand and move to opening 28 days a year. Duties will include pruning, planting, watering, weeding etc.
We are looking for a candidate with many but not necessarily all of the following attributes:
• Collegiate and enthusiastic hands on all weather gardener
• Keen to learn about maintaining and improving the Quercus collection
• Collegiate Horticultural qualification at least RHS level 2/Foundation Degree or proven equivalent experience
• Well organised and self-motivated
• Confident working at heights and in water.
• Comfortable working around livestock and dogs.
• PA1 and PA6 spraying qualifications
• Hard landscaping experience
• Chainsaw qualifications