An exciting opportunity has become available for a Gardener/Groundsman with a broad remit of duties and responsibilities. The family home is situated on a small estate close to the edge of Exmoor National Park and the award winning beaches of Woolacombe and Saunton.
This extremely varied role requires applicants to have some plant knowledge and be able to demonstrate an efficient and practical approach to their work, requiring a minimum amount of supervision.
Key areas are as follows:
- The maintenance of herbaceous and mixed borders, fruit trees, kitchen garden and trees and shrubs
- Lawn maintenance and cultivation
- The use of cylinder and rotary mowers, strimmers and leaf blowers.
- Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, bed preparation and planting
- The use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery.
- Work of a non-horticultural nature on some occasions is required to support team members and some flexible hours to meet the demands of seasonal activities
Candidates need to:
- Demonstrate strong practical knowledge and experience in gardening and horticulture.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a wide variety of plants.
- Be physically fit as the position will be demanding at times.
The successful candidate will:
- Be able to produce and maintain a consistently high-quality finish in the garden
- Be hard working and adaptable to change
- Have good communication skills
- Be passionate about gardening and be willing to work outside in all weathers
- Must be enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to work independently and using their own initiative but also have a strong understanding of the importance of teamwork
- Be willing to help out in other departments when needed
- An understanding of Health and Safety and sustainable garden practices
- Full driving licence