An exciting opportunity has become available for an experienced gardener to work at a family home on a small estate situated close to the edge of Exmoor National Park and the award winning beaches of Woolacombe and Saunton.
This is an exciting opportunity to help create and landscape a variety of new aspects to the existing gardens. There is huge potential for incorporating new designs to enhance the walled vegetable garden and surrounding grounds.
They must have excellent plant, flora and fauna knowledge, with a broad breadth of experience working with herbaceous perennials, grasses & bedding as well as lawns, borders, kitchen garden and mature orchard. They should be creative and have an outstanding eye for detail.
The successful candidate will join a small dedicated, professional team who are highly motivated, they work well together when needed, but are also able to work alone in their respective areas.
This is a hands-on role that requires commitment, excellent time management and good physical fitness.
Applicants must be enthusiastic and self-motivated and able to work on their own initiative.
- Maintain and demonstrate high horticultural standards
- Plan appropriate planting for different areas of the garden
- Manage the implementation of new projects
- Ensure that all operations are carried out in a safe and efficient manor within agreed budgets.
- Work of a non-horticultural nature on some occasions required, support team members as well as flexible hours to meet the demands of seasonal activities.
Key skills and requirements:
- Ideally a minimum of three years’ experience or training of at least NVQ2, RH2 or similar
- An excellent understanding of horticultural techniques and plant identification
- Experience of working in a formal garden with knowledge of herbaceous borders and artistic plant layout
- Experience in growing vegetables and fruit is essential, as is the ability to multi-task on the various daily gardening duties
- Ability to maintain and demonstrate high horticultural standards
- Ability to plan appropriate planting for different areas of the garden
- An understanding of Health & Safety and sustainable garden practices
- Extensive experience with the use and care of garden machinery
- A keen eye for detail and excellent communication and organisation skills
- A full driving licence is essential