Community Development Officer
3 Year Fixed Term Contract
circa £30,000 per annum
South East London
37.5 hours per week
The role of Community Development Officer is an exciting and varied one. You will connect with experienced volunteer networks, creative practitioners and green social prescribers to help bring everyone together with a common purpose ‘Inspiring Everyone to Grow’. You will have access to the latest RHS scientific research as you deliver and shape a programme for gardening and wellbeing that also responds directly to the culture, heritage, access needs and interests of local people.
This is a rare opportunity to work for a thriving charity whose mission is to inspire everyone to grow and make the UK a greener more beautiful place. It really is an exciting time to join The Royal Horticultural Society, we have just opened our fifth garden in Salford, near Manchester and invested millions of pounds to improve the facilities at our flag ship garden in Wisley, Surrey.
Never has it been more important to make the most of outdoor green spaces, the benefits that gardening brings to both our physical and mental wellbeing are proven to be extremely positive. The Royal Horticulture Society’s aim is to inspire everyone by demonstrating the wonders of gardening through not only our beautiful gardens and but also our flower shows, retail, catering, publications, social media and our work in local communities.
With a track record in delivering horticultural training, workshops and skills, you will have experience of community co-design and an ability to listen to what really matters to people.
A good listener with excellent communication, project management and reflective skills and the ability to work alone and in collaboration with others, you will have qualifications or practical experience equivalent to a level 2 in horticulture.
The RHS provides a number of great benefits for employees including:
- Free Parking for staff working at one of the five gardens
- Free access to all RHS Gardens and Flower Shows
- 20% discount on all RHS Retail
- Discounted food and drink from the catering outlets at the gardens
- Employee discounts at high street retailer and cash back scheme through Lifeworks
- 25 days holiday (increasing 28 and 30 with service) and option to buy/sell
- Bikes to work scheme
- Pension with employers contribution which increases with length of service
- Employee Assistance Programme for staff and immediate family
- Monthly Garden Magazine and access to Horticultural advice
- Sponsorship for External Studies
The RHS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and expects all personnel to share this commitment.
To apply please visit our website via the link and apply online.
Apply via our website by 27 July 2021.