The Garden Maintenance Manager is responsible for the daily running of garden maintenance of an assigned portfolio of high-end residential and commercial properties, to deliver safe and compliant services to meet contractual specifications on time and on budget.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven experience in residential and commercial garden maintenance
- Academic horticultural qualification, preferably Level 3 or above
- Health and safety qualification, e.g. NEBOSH General, or relevant professional qualification
- Advance level of irrigation and spraying certificate PA1/PA6
- Up-to-date working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment used in garden maintenance operations
- Sound knowledge of standard horticultural practices (planting, pruning, fertilising, etc), growth characteristics and identification of a wide variety of plants
- Full clean EU or UK driving licence and experience of driving vans
- Physical aptitude to working outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions
- Team leading, confidence to provide clear direction and inspire those around you, promptly and efficiently addressing personnel issues and training and development needs
- Resilience, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment whilst maintaining a positive can-do attitude with an ability to motivate others
- Relationship building, effective stakeholder management, both internally and external to the organisation
- Strong attention to detail
- Problem solver, ability to identify and resolve issues with speed
- Teamwork demonstrate commitment to teamwork and create value not only for self but for others. Focus on the overall objectives of the team to continuously improve
- Results focused, focused on proactively delivering value that will directly lead to achievement of business results
- Customer driven, understand the customer needs, constantly strive for improvement to achieve the highest standards of service
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- High level of ethical conduct, cooperation and team skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to supervise a small team
- Excellent client service skills.
- Undertake regular visits to the assigned sites to ensure operations are carried out to the appropriate quality, frequency and timescales
- Review site reports and address any operational deficiencies promptly and efficiently, communicating all corrective actions back to clients within agreed timescales
- Liaise with clients as required
- Careful monitoring of irrigation systems, including planning and overseeing winter shutdown and spring start up programmes
- Manage staff attendance and plan for seasonal demand variations, leave, sickness and absence to ensure that all contractual obligations are met and maintained
- Monitor the teams to ensure correct compliance with HR, H&S, admin and working practices and procedures
- Work with the Team Leaders to ensure all operatives are fully equipped each day with the necessary tools, equipment and materials to complete required tasks
- Oversee and carry out general garden maintenance, including but not limited to mowing, pruning, mulching, irrigating, preparing areas ready for planting
- Carry out physically demanding tasks including heavy lifting and carrying, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, kneeling and repetitive motion
- Ensure care for Maintenance equipment
- Ensure vehicles assigned to the Maintenance Teams are kept in good working order
- Assist with fleet management inspections across both operational divisions
- Liaise with HR to address the Maintenance Teams support, training & development needs
- Maintain effective employee, client and public relations
- Any other duties assigned by the Maintenance Operations Manager or Maintenance and Soft Landscape Manager
Place of Work: 60% office-based; 40% site-based
8:00am to 4:30pm (30-minute unpaid lunch break each day) Occasional daily overtime and weekend work may be required
Holidays: 20 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays; birthday day off
Benefits: Workplace pension, discretionary bonus, company uniform, company phone, company vehicle, office social events. Our client also offer continuous on the job training and career progression within a structured support network. We actively promote the inclusion of staff.