Netherby Hall is an outstanding Grade II* listed mansion house in Longtown, Cumbria, steeped in history from the roman times to the modern day.
Centred around a 16th Century pele tower, Netherby Hall has been developed over the centuries with later additions in the 17th, 18th and 19th Century. The hall is built on the site of a Roman fort known as “Castra Exploratorum” and it is believed that some sections of the house have been built using some of the fort stones. The Walled Garden has been restored to be a productive kitchen garden and features two new Victorian replica glasshouses.
Pentonbridge Inn is a five star, award-winning restaurant and the menu is designed to highlight fantastic suppliers and the best produce grown in the Walled Garden at Netherby Hall. The food is reflective of the Head Chef’s unique style of modern British/European cuisine, and love of seasonal, local ingredients.
We have an exciting opportunity to become a senior member of the team, growing top quality produce for our restaurant the Pentonbridge Inn, on-site accommodation and seasonal events. Duties to include all aspects of vegetable, fruit, salad and herb production. You should have experience growing edibles, be hard working, productive, organised and committed to maintaining the gardens to the highest standards.
The sensitivity of the site requires that the entire garden needs to be managed in a sustainable manner, adhering to organic growing principals where practical, whilst maintaining the highest of standards for our visiting guests. Assisting the Head Gardener in the managing of the Walled Garden you will also need to develop a strong working relationship with the Head Chef and restaurant team. It is imperative that you constantly monitor quality control and ensure that seasonal menu changes are accounted for. Continual exploration of new varieties and growing techniques to increase availability and consistency is key.
- Annual vegetable garden planning and implementation
- Harvesting and quality control of produce
- Maintenance of fruit trees, vegetable beds and borders including pruning, weeding, edging, planting, and all other associated tasks.
- Communicating with the Head Gardener and Glasshouse Gardener for the propagation of plants for all produce requirements.
- Competent and safe user of driven vehicles such tractors (including trailers and other attachments) and garden vehicles.
- Proficient in basic maintenance and use of a wide range of Horticultural equipment.
- Competent user of Garden Machinery.
- Competent and safe user of hand-tools for example spades, forks, trowels, rakes, hoes, shears, secateurs.
- Pesticide application.
- Proficient user of IT equipment.
- Ability to undertake other Horticultural tasks as necessary.
Accommodation can be provided on request.
To create a sustainable future for Netherby Hall and Pentonbridge Inn by delivering fantastic experiences for our guests.
To deliver experiences that set new standards of excellence and attract visitors from around the world to the historic borderland between Scotland and England. We aim to set the standard in hospitality, not only for quality & service, but also in the way that we look after our people.