Purpose of Job to Head the Landscape Management Team and be responsible for:
- Managing all aspects of the maintenance of the green infrastructure within our clients Estates. Developing and delivering landscape improvement projects within the budget of the Landscape Management Department.
- Managing the Landscape Management Department’s budgets and ensure value for money, competitive purchasing and accountability for expenditure.
- Work to ensure the provision of an efficient and effective landscape management service.
- To ensure that Landscape Maintenance Department staff issues are identified, addressed and resolved in line with our clients procedures.
- Liaise with all other departments within our client to ensure the goals of the Landscape Management Department are transparent and understood.
- Work proactively with the Assistant Director of Estate Services in the procurement of new landscaping business and project manage external contracts.
- To be pro-active in the identification of developments within the Landscape Industry and assess the viability of the inclusion of such developments into the department.
- To be the first point of contact for information and advice on all aspects of Landscape Management within our client.
Main Duties and Responsibilities Supervision
· To line manage a team of Landscape Management Department Supervisors. To ensure all record keeping requirements are undertaken accurately and are delivered on time.
· To ensure the provision of a training programme to ensure all staff are compliant with current legislation and have the skills to deliver an efficient and effective service. To ensure that Landscape Maintenance Operatives are line managed effectively
· To ensure all staff comply with the policies and procedures of Our client.
· To ensure all staff monitoring, sickness and disciplinary procedures are undertaken and delivered on time.
· To ensure the continued professional development of the Landscape Management Department staff and the procedures and practices of the department. Monitoring and inspection
· To ensure the Tree Management procedure fulfils the legal responsibilities of Our client as landlord.
· To ensure that tree inspection data is maintained on the digital Tree Management System.
· To manage and monitor departmental expenditure and ensure the delivery of the service within budget.
· To maintain and monitor staff records and ensure all staff are equipped with machinery, equipment, uniform and materials which are compliant with both the policies and procedures of Our client and the statutory requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
· To maintain all vehicle records and ensure vehicle management and use complies with the companies’ vehicle management procedures. Operational
· To implement a planned programme of works during all seasons of the year to ensure all staff are appropriately organised, equipped with machinery and materials to deliver the planned works. · To implement a planned maintenance programme for all vehicles, machinery and equipment.
· Assist with the implementation of a Quality Assurance Strategy for all Landscape Maintenance and improvement works.
· To manage departmental budgets to ensure a planned cash flow throughout the financial year.
· To undertake the Landscape Management Departments purchase ordering, utilising the EBIS purchase ordering system and Barclaycard purchases to ensure fiscal responsibility is maintained at all times.
· To ensure monitoring using the departments Vehicle Tracking System and to ensure compliance with the companies’ Vehicle Management Policies and Procedure. Organisational.
· To prepare quotations for external contracts.
· To assist, in conjunction with the Assistant Director of Estate Services, Area Estate Service Managers and appointed members of the Finance Department in the preparation of contract specifications and submissions.
· To maintain and develop lines of communication both within Our client and externally to promote the work and achievements of Our client, the Estate Services Department and the Landscape Management Department in verbal, written and photographic form.
· To closely collaborate with the Assistant Director of Estate Services and the Area Estate Service Managers on all matters which involve the posts technical expertise. Health & Safety
· To lead and manage the Landscape Management Departments Health & Safety at Work Policies and Procedures.
· To take advice from and to liaise effectively with the Our client Health & Safety Officer to ensure compliance in all areas and pro-active improvements wherever required.
· To maintain up to date knowledge of the Health & Safety requirements in relation to the activities of the Landscape Management Department.
· To maintain a continued training programme for all departmental staff and to maintain records of compliance.
· To maintain required records in relation to accidents and incidents and to submit to the HR department and to the Health & Safety Officer accurately and on time. Involvement & engagement
· To ensure departmental team and individual meetings are held as per company requirements and to ensure all minutes are kept and all identified requirements actioned.
· To attend and to contribute to Estate Services Management Team meetings and to other meetings as required or requested by the Assistant Director of Estate Services.
· To report to and to inform Committees and Boards of the Landscape Maintenance programme and to implement where possible, improvements requested by these bodies.
· To engage with other Our client departments and staff in a co-operative and informative manner on all matters to which the post has the technical knowledge and expertise. General
· Perform other duties as may be reasonably required by your line manager.
· Conduct yourself in line with Our client’s policies, procedures, rules and standards.
Education/ Qualifications/ Training
a. Professional Qualifications in Landscape Maintenance and Tree Management.
b. PA1 and PA6 certification
c. And/or comparable equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience and expertise.
Skills Ability to manage, supervise and demonstrate:-
a. A comprehensive herbicide programme.
b. A comprehensive machinery and equipment maintenance programme.
c. A comprehensive vehicle management system.
d. A comprehensive grass and shrub maintenance programme.
e. A comprehensive Tree Inspection, inventory and contract management programme.
f. A comprehensive Landscape Improvement programme.
g. A comprehensive staff management system.
h. Ability to undertake the management of Health, Safety and Hygiene at work
i. Proficient in the use of IT equipment to communicate and to assist with scheduling, reporting and processing of data associated with the role. Able to understand, and operate in, a resident led environment.
j. Can use written and oral skills to influence, negotiate and persuade
k. Commitment to improving performance
l. Engages in straight talking – is clear and constructive. Able to manage conduct, performance and other staff issues through to resolution in line with procedures.
a. Experience of managing staff within a land based industry discipline.
b. Experience of identifying, addressing and resolving staff issues.
c. Experience of successfully managing change in the workplace affecting staff members
d. Experience of preparing and implementing a Landscape Maintenance programme.
e. Experience of successful Urban Tree Management and Risk Management utilising industry specific software .
f. Experience of managing Health & Safety Legislation within a Land Based Industry environment.
Knowledge of :
a. Biodiversity Action Plans and Implementation (desirable).
b. Country side and Rights of Way Act and duties and responsibilities in relation to the act (desirable).
c. Knowledge of Health & Safety at Work Legislation and duties and responsibilities in relation to the Act.
a. Putting others first
b. Achieving Results
c. Open to change
d. Informed and informing
e. Personal Progress
f. Partnership Working
g. Problem Solving
Working hours – 35 per week (8am to 4pm)