Our client is a leading co-educational independent preparatory school set in 34 acres on beautiful grounds. They are a friendly, stable and caring community, proud of our academic achievements and dedicated to bringing out the full potential of each of our 500 pupils.
To assist in the maintaining of the School grounds to a high standard which includes gardening maintenance duties involving the use of hand-held powered tools e.g. mowing equipment, trimmers and hedge cutters. The role includes all aspects of sports turf maintenance and games playing surfaces, as well as general grounds, woodlands and formal gardens.
Duties and Responsibilities
Due to its varied nature, a flexible and adaptive approach is required for the role. The following list is indicative of the likely areas where most time will be spent; however, it is not intended to be exhaustive. The post holder is therefore expected to undertake such other duties within their capabilities and that may be required by the Line Manager. The job description is subject to change.
- Maintenance of all sports surfaces, marking out pitches and ensuring they are safe to play on.
- Preparing plants for ornamental planting areas having due regard to factors such as soil composition, drainage, prevailing weather, location, flowering periods, pests etc.
- Undertaking soil cultivation and sweeping and clearing leaves and debris etc. around the school and Surrounding area.
- Undertaking minor construction and landscaping works.
- Using and maintaining hand tools, basic light machinery and plant in accordance with operating requirements.
- Driving vehicles and equipment as required in the undertaking of grounds maintenance operations.
- During winter months, prioritising gritting, slat spreading and snow clearance around the School and surrounding areas and ensuring playgrounds, footpaths and pathways are safe.
- To undertake general maintenance works around the school and on the South Hill Estate including street cleaning, gully emptying, grass cutting and tree works.
- To ensure the general safety of pupils by assisting in supervising around the school during morning drop-offs and afternoon pick-ups, as well as managing access to playground spaces as necessary for safe play during the school day.
- Complying with personal responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and associated legislation, together with the School’s Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure the safe use, storage and disposal of pesticides and other hazardous substances.
- Carrying out the daily inspections of hand tools, equipment and reporting any damage to the line manager.
The post-holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom s/he is responsible, or with whom s/he comes into contact, will be adhered to ensure compliance with the school’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If, in the course of carrying out their duties, the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the school, s/he must report their concerns to the school’s Designated Safeguarding Lead in line with School Policy or to the Headmaster.
This position is subject to an enhanced check with the Disclosure and Barring Service in the event of a successful application.