Purpose of Job
To be responsible for the overall management of all Green Estate Parks, taking a lead in their presentation and ongoing development in line with their masterplans/management plans; You will ensure that they are maintained to the highest possible standards, with the user experience being of paramount importance.
You will be the first point of contact for all stakeholders, providing an exceptional level of service and stakeholder engagement as well as assisting in identifying and acquiring additional funding streams to help drive development of the sites.
- Take a leadership role in the development of all Green Estate Parks in line with their Masterplans and 5-year management plans;
- Achieve agreed outcomes on all GE Parks within a set budget;
- Lead on identifying and sourcing additional income to help drive the development of the parks;
- Feedback and report on key outcomes to key colleagues to inform ongoing site development;
- Liaise with key stakeholders to keep up to date with activities in the local area and within the wider Sheffield Parks scene;
- Promote Green Estate Parks as exemplars of innovative landscape management solutions;
- Forge links with Green Estate’s key audiences to increase their usage as a learning tool for students and landscape professionals;
- Recruit, coach and manage a team of motivated parks staff;
- Lead in the creation of a weekly work programme for the Parks team to ensure high quality site presentation;
- Oversee and direct all seasonal maintenance tasks across all GE managed parks to ensure each site is best performing to its unique and varied audiences;
- Work as part of a team to generally improve the quality and use of all GE managed parks to achieve/maintain Sheffield and Green Flag Standards;
- Lead the annual business and strategic planning for the Parks team and each site in general;
- Undertake periodic reviews of the Parks Management Plans engaging internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintain, take responsibility for delivery, and communicate the 90 Day Business plan for the Parks service to all relevant colleagues;
- Compile and submit quarterly reports to Sheffield City Council on achievements across all GE Parks against set outcomes;
- Manage the finance and invoicing for the all GE Parks;
- Adhere to all company H&S procedures and play an active role in maintaining good practices in all aspects of work within the company;
- Undertake any other duties, as requested by you line manager, commensurate with the level of the post and the aims of Green Estate CIC.
Values and Behaviours
Green Estate CIC is a truly great place to work. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following values and behaviours in their work.
Innovation: We learn from mistakes and offer practical ways to do things better.
Fairness: We are empathetic, responsive and resolute.
Togetherness: We are mindful, understanding and kind.
Collaboration: We are open, encouraging and receptive.
Engagement: We are positive, welcoming and accessible.
Commitment: We are accountable, transparent and dutiful.
The post you are applying for requires a specific set of skills, knowledge and experience. While we don’t expect you to be perfect at everything the following will be used as a guide whilst deciding whether to invite you to interview.
- Landscape & Parks Management – You will have considerable experience of and confidence in planning, developing, and managing parks. You will have studied a landscape related degree, possibly at postgraduate level or equivalent. It would be advantageous to be familiar with naturalistic landscape management techniques especially the use of designed meadow communities.
- Health and Safety – You will have a broad understanding of health & safety issues relating to landscape maintenance and will have experience of writing risk assessments, undertaking regular and routine checks and taking decisions, actions and reporting on risks. You are highly conscientious to all health and safety concerns
- Site Maintenance – you will be proactive and enthusiastic in caring for our parks and open spaces to ensure each visitor has the best experience. You will be diligent in ensuring that all regular and routine tasks are completed by the Parks team. You will be fully aware (and most likely have prior experience of) the range of tasks involved in keeping a Park well presented, safe and secure; including landscape maintenance, litter picking, graffiti removal and play equipment checks.
- Finance and Funding: You will be skilled in managing expenditure against set budgets. You will be able to identify relevant and obtainable funding sources for parks development and be innovative in finding creative ways to create additional funding streams for the management of GE Parks. You will have experience in completing successful funding applications and have a good knowledge of all the required supporting documentation.
- Marketing – You enjoy finding exciting ways to bring Green Estates key messages and stories to life to generate interest and enthusiasm for our Parks. It would be advantageous to have an understanding of basic website functions to allow you to contribute to the development of the Parks online messaging.
- Urban Nature and Impact – You will have a solid understanding of designed ecology, urban nature and sustainable land management practices and the benefits they bring for urban communities.
- Communication – You are an excellent and confident communicator with verbal and written communication skills that are second-to-none. You are skillful and experienced in adapting your approach and delivery to different audiences. You will be a competent report writer, and keen to promote Green Estate for its exemplar parks management.
- Collaboration – You will have a proven ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders, internally and externally, working closely with internal colleagues, as well as local development organisations and the local council. You will be confident in continually promoting a culture of excellence, professionalism, and consistent communication.
- Team development and management – You will have experience of recruiting, training, supporting, leading and working closely with staff and volunteers. It is essential that you have practical knowledge in landscape maintenance techniques and machinery so you can inspire your parks team and lead by example. Your approach engenders a strong focus on high standards of presentation and ensures excellent customer service and feedback is a key aim to be achieved by the whole team.
- Values – You will wish to support our community interest company in its social aims and share our values and behaviours. You will be able to articulate our vision, purpose and mission to all our customers and stakeholders.
- Technical Skills – Prior experience of using landscape machinery i.e. strimmer’s, mowers, compact tractors/rotavators would be a credit to your application so you have the knowledge to develop your team. You must hold a full UK driving license.
- IT – You will be experienced and confident in using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) as well a good working knowledge of Adobe applications (i.e. InDesign, Photoshop). You may be familiar with generic web platforms like Weebly.
Salary: £25,020 per annum (pro rata if part time)
Pension: We offer entry to the Company’s stakeholder pension scheme after 3 months in post
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work should be expected where forums and events need to be attended outside of normal working hours. A Time of in Lieu (TOIL) system is in place for out of hours working.
Location: The post is based at the Sheffield Manor Lodge site, Manor Lane, Sheffield S2.
Probationary Period: All new employees are required to undertake a period of probation for 6 months, in which they will be expected to establish their suitability for the post.
Annual Leave: 31 days per annum pro rata, (this includes all Bank Holidays).
Length of Contract: Permanent
DBS Disclosure: Enhanced DBS check
Equal Opportunities: Green Estate CIC is an equal opportunities employer and selection of applicants is based on merit. Our company policy document is available on demand.
Additional Benefits in working for Green Estate CIC
Green Estate CIC provides free car parking, life assurance policy, company sick pay, as well as annual social events.
In order to apply for this post an application form must be completed. Please visit www.greenestate.org.uk to download an application form, or phone 0114 2762828 or email Amanda.Barnes@greenestate.org to request an application pack