SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
SRUC is looking for new talent to lead the Horticulture and Landscape teams in Tertiary education at our Elmwood and Oatridge campuses. Linking closely with industry, wider education and research provision at SRUC and beyond, the opportunity exists to drive and develop the provision of education and new skills relevant to the workplace from now into the future. The teams currently deliver Further and Higher education and training for 42 education programmes per year including full-, part-time, day release learners, school pupils and short-course training.
The role is a high profile and public-facing appointment that includes liaison with local authorities, and national organisations such as National Trust for Scotland and Historic and Environment Scotland, professionals and practitioners in the horticulture, gardening and landscaping sectors, the public and press and media organisations. The successful applicant would be expected to be the SRUC lead at local, national events and sector engagements with for example Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society (RCHS), Scottish Gardener’s Forum, (SGF), British Association of Landscape Industries, (BALI), Scottish Horticultural Panel and Garden Shows of high impact (e.g. the new equivalent of Gardening Scotland), for which regular and frequent interactions would be required. Interaction and engagement with the wider community by the new post holder is encouraged and anticipated.
The successful applicant will also ideally have a track record of research in a related field. SRUC is seeking a closer alignment of its research and education activities and it is hoped that the successful applicant will work with other colleagues to contribute to world-class research carried out within SRUC. You will grasp the opportunity to foster cross-disciplinary collaborations and ambitions that will build on current strengths across the institution.
Key responsibilities of the role will involve:
- To assume responsibility for operational leadership of the horticulture curriculum and contribute to teaching delivery
- Leading the review and development of the horticulture curriculum to embrace industry need
- Leading the development, application and maintenance of academic standards in a defined area of work and acting in a senior role within the department/ faculty/ institution to advance student academic development
- Maintaining a portfolio of teaching activity of high quality, reputation, and impact
- Developing approaches to teaching and learning which are innovative in the subject area and reflect best practice
- Participating actively in the development of subject based pedagogy and teaching, learning and assessment strategies
- Contributing to the development of teaching and learning policy and practice locally, nationally and/or internationally
- Involvement in the development of continuing professional development in relation to teaching and, where appropriate, related professional practices
- Successful coordination, support, supervision, management and/or mentoring of others in relation to teaching and learning
Research / KE
- To work with colleagues to develop and promote horticulture in the development of the departmental/faculty/institutional research strategy with an emphasis on sustainability in horticulture, the horticulture industry, and other areas relevant to the respective campus
- Lead or contribute to funding bids and related activities, including Knowledge Exchange, which develop and sustain support for the subject area and recognised excellence for the institution
- Actively contribute to the subject specialism through learned societies, professional bodies, broader review and editorial processes
Further details on the requirements of this role can be found in the Job Particulars document which you must read before applying for this role. This is downloadable when you click the APPLY link.