Permanent. Full Time
Police Headquarters, Portishead BS20 8QJ
£18,501 - £19,032 pa
37 Hours per week
Closing date 18/06/2021, 23:55
Do you enjoy working outdoors? Are you a keen and enthusiastic gardener with a passion for Horticulture? Do you have basic knowledge of grounds and garden maintenance and mechanical skills to enable the operation of power tools?
An opportunity has arisen for a motivated gardener to join our Estates and Facilities team. This position is based at our Headquarters site but covers our properties across our force area.
We have a dedicated landscape team, our aim is to create areas that are practical for our operational needs, a pleasant working environment, while helping to improve the biodiversity we have on our sites. Every individual that works for us, is in some way supporting and serving the community we represent, we simply could not do the jobs we do without them.
In this role, your main responsibilities will be:
• General maintenance of grounds including cutting lawns, edging, repair, pruning and weed control.
• Developing areas by undertaking planting and landscaping. Working in conjunction with the Line Manager to develop and work towards clear and agreed plans.
• Maintaining machinery and servicing programmes as required with external agents where appropriate and keeping adequate records.
• Maintenance of associated buildings to maximise their use and to ensure a safe environment, including managing deliveries and storage in a safe manner.
• Carrying out conservation work and developing areas to improve the biodiversity we have on our sites.
• Managing any inclement weather and clear snow from roads and paths, by use of both hand and mechanical machines and to apply salt as required.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
• You will need a basic knowledge of grounds and garden maintenance. Ideally, with previous experience in a similar environment enabling you to work with minimal supervision once the work schedules have been agreed.
• Basic mechanical skills to enable the operation and safety checks of tools and machinery.
• An awareness of relevant Health and Safety procedures.
• Basic computer IT skills are required to enable work related requests, to submit worksheets and keep records etc.
• A full current driving licence is required and you must be prepared to become an authorised driver including the taking of additional DVLA driving test if required.
To be eligible to apply for this role you must have a 3 year ‘checkable history’ in the UK – ideally this means that you would have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.
Does this sound like the role for you? Click the link below to apply.