An exciting and rare opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic, knowledgeable and experienced individual to join a small team at a large private estate in Nidderdale, North Yorkshire.
The overall estate comprises around 1,500 hectares of forestry, farmland and moorland in addition to some 15 hectares of formal gardens surrounding the principal residence. This new role is focused on the gardens, which were developed originally in the Victorian era and are now undergoing renovation and development.
The gardens include formal ornamental areas and productive kitchen gardens, in addition to numerous specimen trees, various water features, an extensive rhododendron collection and a 5ha walled arboretum.
A new role has been created for an experienced and qualified senior gardener to work with the Head Gardener and his team in the continued development and maintenance of the gardens.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate plantsperson with a strong horticultural background of practical hands-on experience alongside formal training. The role will be instrumental in moving the restoration, renovation and development of the gardens to the next level at a high horticultural standard. The candidate would ideally have some experience of staff management in order to deputise in the absence of the Head Gardener.
Duties will include working alongside the Head Gardener to develop and implement new and innovative designs and planting concepts during the further development of the gardens. The candidate will be given responsibility over set specialist horticultural features alongside routine maintenance tasks across the whole of the gardens. As a result of this, a strong knowledge of plant identification, selection and use is essential.
Routine tasks may include but are not limited to, pruning, bed and border creation, planting, weeding, strimming, spraying, some propagation and general nursery tasks, lawn and hedge maintenance.
The successful candidate will join the gardens department and will report directly to the Head Gardener.
- Level 3 Horticulture qualification or above;
- Worked in the industry sector for 3 years minimum;
- Full competence certificates in: Basic chainsaw use, chipper, PA1/PA6 pesticide application;
- Good plant knowledge and understanding of correct horticultural practice.
- The ability to work as an individual and as part of a team;
- Have some experience of staff management;
- Good work ethic – reliable, trustworthy, punctual, hardworking and able to work in all types of weather;
- Able to work safely and adhere to all heath and safety practices and policies.
- Ability to maintain role-specific tools and machinery;
- Certificates/experience of the use of strimmers, mowers (pedestrian and ride-on) tractor/ATV.
- Basic glasshouse management.
Although not essential, in view of the extensive tree collection, candidates with arboricultural experience would be of particular interest.
Please send your CV and Covering letter to Arron Hickman, via the apply button.