The Torry Hill Estate is a 3000 acre family owned estate in the North Kent Downs, including commercial fruit orchards, arable and livestock production, a holiday letting business, residential properties, and a significant forestry and fencing business.
A Head Gardener is now required to lead the existing skilled team of garden and maintenance staff in a role that is varied, practical, and challenging.
A new Head Gardener will lead an existing team of staff, responsible for:
- Management of two principal family gardens, including a kitchen garden
- Maintenance of gardens and grounds associated with the holiday letting business and residential properties, and of a cricket pitch and a private miniature railway
- Maintenance of two swimming pools and equipment related to the holiday letting business
- Management of garden machinery and some agricultural machinery including organising maintenance and servicing
- Supervision and co-ordination of health and safety practices relevant to the team and their machinery and equipment
- Some maintenance responsibilities, such as supervision of repairs to properties, and instruction of contractors
- Involvement in varied additional projects associated with the forestry and stone fruit enterprises such as some tree planting, fencing, pest control, small landscaping projects etc
The Head Gardener will report to the estate owner day to day, with supervision and input from the estate land agent and Estate Administrator.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic individual with a good practical experience in gardening and general estate maintenance, with the following attributes:
- Good plant knowledge and hands on garden management experience in a senior capacity
- A proven track record in a leadership role supporting and developing a team
- Proficiency in the use and maintenance of garden machinery
- Practical experience in routine property maintenance , and small project co-ordination
- Competence in relevant health and safety legislation applicable to the role
- Experience in forestry and tree inspections would be an advantage
Technical training can be provided as required.
- A competitive salary package dependent on experience and is offered with a pension
- The position is to start from end July 2021
- Daily working hours are 8 am to 4.30 pm with some weekend watering duties
- Holiday entitlement is 23 days annually plus bank holidays
- Accommodation could be available on terms to be discussed
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted with a covering letter to Arthur Leigh-Pemberton (email@example.com) by 18 June 2021. Applicants selected for interview will be invited to attend at Torry Hill Farm, where Covid-19 secure arrangements are in place.