As one of a team of 2 running a 50-acre estate, the role of Senior Gardener is concerned with the care of a 1/3 acre walled garden, a vegetable & cut flower garden and a small orchard. The role also involves ensuring that the main house is provided with flowers and vegetables throughout the growing season. We have historically opened the gardens to the public once a year as part of the National Garden Scheme and still host corporate events and the occasional wedding in the grounds.
We seek a qualified and experienced senior gardener. A sound training in horticulture is essential (RHS Diploma preferable) with additional specialist skills being welcome. We are looking for someone who is knowledgeable, passionate about their work, is well organised, energetic and capable of handling a large workload. The ability to work on your own, and as part of a small team is essential.
We employ one full time person to look after the wider estate (grass cutting, tree felling, logging, engineering/machine maintenance, fencing etc.) We also employ a housekeeper/chef with whom regular contact is essential in providing a consistent flow of cut flowers and vegetables when in season.
The Role – Overview:
- Maintenance of Walled Garden - includes, but is not limited to: planting-out, weeding, cutting-back, seasonal adjustments to herbaceous borders, mowing, watering, gravel maintenance, tool maintenance, prepping and maintenance of pots, putting the garden to bed for the winter.
- Maintenance of vegetable and cut flower garden - includes: non-specialist propagation and plant production under glass (2 greenhouses, a cold box and a polytunnel), growing of bedding plants, vegetable and cut flowers husbandry, weeding, fertilising, maintenance of compost heaps and raised beds, maintaining a planting plan to allow for seasonal vegetables, fruits and flowers etc.
- Maintenance of small orchard: Seasonal pruning and cutting of orchard trees and application of pesticides in accordance with regulations.
- Maintenance of climbing roses around the house and the outside of the Walled Garden: deadheading and pruning.
- Maintenance of small terrace garden – involves planning, planting and tending to a small garden containing 4 beds adjacent to the main house.
To the owners
Professional qualifications sought:
- NVQ Level 2 in amenity horticulture or higher OR
- RHS level 2 or higher.
- PA1 & 6A Spraying Certificates
- At least 5 years professional gardening experience (in horticulture), with preferably at least 2 years post qualification experience
- Clean full driving license
Accommodation: we have a 2-bedroomed cottage available. It is comprised of a kitchen, dining room, living room, and separate WC downstairs. Upstairs are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom with WC.
Work hours: Mon- Fri from 8:00 am to 4:15 pm with a half hour break for lunch and 15 minutes for a morning tea break, although in the summer months some flexibility may be required. A room for breaks is provided.
Salary: £28,000 - £30,000
Holiday allowance: 20 days, not more than one week at a time during principal summer months.
To apply please email a short cover letter outlining your experience together with your CV.
We will endeavour to reply to all applicants, but apologise in advance if, by virtue of demand, we are unable to. Successful applicants will initially be contacted by email and shortly thereafter interviewed over the telephone / Skype during the week beginning May 24th 2021, with finalists being invited in for interview over the following week.