Created in March 2017, The Royal Parks is a charity that supports and manages 5,000 acres of historic parkland across London. Millions of Londoners and tourists visit our beautiful sites, which offer unparalleled opportunities for enjoyment, exploration and healthy living in the heart of the capital.
They look after eight of Londons largest open spaces; Hyde Park, Green Park, Richmond, Greenwich, St James, Bushy and The Regents Park, and Kensington Gardens. We also manage other important open spaces in the capital including Brompton Cemetery, Victoria Tower Gardens, Canning Green and Poet’s Corner.
They are eager to enhance our levels of expertise as an organisation and grow the scale and scope of works that we are undertaking across our parks. As such, we are looking for a Aboricultural Officer to help us deliver the highest standards in park management.
Undertake a programme of tree inspections and surveys of trees across all sites managed and identify and assess associated hazards and risks, principally relating to Massaria of London Plane.
To provide technical arboricultural support to the Arboricultural Manager in the effective and efficient delivery of The Royal Parks risk management procedures, principally relating to Massaria of London Plane.
Carry out general risk management inspections and surveys for specific pests and diseases including Oak processionary moth.
Maintain adequate records in accordance with adopted procedures and policies.
Create work schedules and tree works orders and to communicate and deliver the recommendations as required.
- To carry out accurate tree inspections in accordance with current recognised good practice guidelines, diagnosing injury, disease, decay and structural defects and record them in the Arbortrack system. Specify works which prioritises and responds to the inspection information and risk zoned area in a cost efficient and timely manner.
- To liaise with contractors and contractors’ representatives to ensure that works are carried out in accordance with the specifications, within the timelines given and associate conditions of contract and appointment.
- To adhere to existing working practices, methods and procedures and work positively towards the achievement of Arboricultural objectives.
- To support the Arboricultural Manager in maintaining inspections in accordance with the tree risk management procedures and, ensuring the process is carried out within the required timetable.
- Prioritise tasks without direct instruction in order to meet targets and deadlines.
- Oversee works as required to manage Massaria including the safe working of contractors and consultants in the delivery of:
- Nature conservation issues and protected species legislation relating to arboriculture and trees.
- Application of the recommendations of BS 3998; 2010: (Recommendations for tree work), and other relevant British Standards, industry recognised guidelines and practices.
- Assist the Arboricultural Manager in the achievement of operational objectives as follows:
- Create tree works orders via the Arbortrack system and monitor contractor progress against the deadlines.
- Maintain awareness of park guidelines and regulations and ensure that contractors are compliant with the regulations.
- Events based duties will be required with specific codes of conduct and particular precautions relating to access, confidentiality, and data protection guidelines where appropriate.
- Responding to requests for information.
- To be aware of his/her responsibilities described in the H&S Manual and in particular:
- Implement the policy in their area of responsibility; and
- Ensure the health & safety issues receive the same priority as other management tasks.
Candidates will need:
- Minimum level 3 in Arboriculture
- Holds Arboricultural Association Professional Tree Inspection Certificate
- Experience and training in the inspection, risk assessment and management of trees
- Knowledge of or experience in the surveying and management of Massaria (Splanchnonema platani).
- Awareness and experience in the application of BS 3998:2010 (Recommendations for tree work).
- Understanding of nature conservation issues, SSSI status and protected species legislation relating to Arboriculture and trees.
- Awareness and experience in the application of BS 5837:2012 (Trees in relation to design, demolition, and construction), NJUG 4 and other relevant British Standards involving trees and/or landscaping.
- Knowledge of or experience in the management of veteran trees.
- Knowledge of or experience of the surveying and management of Oak processionary moth.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent identification ability of a wide range of amenity trees.
- Excellent knowledge in the identification and prognosis of a wide range of pest and diseases and fungal fruit bodies.
- Ability to prioritise tasks without direct instruction to meet targets and deadlines
- Ability to write concise and accurate arboricultural reports and to communicate the recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work with a wide range of stakeholders and staff at all levels.
- Familiarity with current case law relating to trees.
- Knowledge and experience in the function and application of GIS based tree management systems e.g., Arbortrack.
- Full clean UK drivers’ licence