We have an exciting opportunity for a full-time, experienced gardener to join our expanding gardens team at Mawley Hall, a privately owned estate near Cleobury Mortimer in South Shropshire. The house, gardens and wider estate are undergoing major restoration and redevelopment with new garden areas being developed.
We are looking to recruit a skilled, knowledgeable, motivated gardener to work with the Head Gardener and gardens team to maintain and develop the gardens and grounds to the highest horticultural standards. The gardens currently consist of ornamental lawns, shrub and herbaceous beds, woodland garden (under development), productive garden, nursery area and polytunnel. There are also plans for further ornamental gardens and the restoration of the walled gardens and glasshouses.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of two years of horticultural experience in a private estate, historic or botanic garden setting.
- Broad-ranging horticultural expertise and excellent plant knowledge with evidence of appropriate academic qualifications or experience.
- Minimum horticultural qualification to Level 2 (NVQ/RHS or equivalent).
- A well organised individual with attention to detail and a keenness to provide the highest standards of presentation.
- The candidate will be a practical, hands-on, hard-working gardener with excellent team working and communication skills.
- Capable to take responsibility and work on own initiative.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Experience of driving compact tractors, attachments and using a wide range of tools and equipment.
- PA1 & PA6 certificates desirable.
- Basic machinery maintenance knowledge.
The salary package will be competitive and commensurate with ability and experience.
Hours of Work
40 hours per week 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri. Occasional weekend watering duties may be required with time off in lieu.
20 days holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays.
To apply for this position and for further information, please email your CV and cover letter to the Estate Secretary via 'Apply Now'.