This is a newly created role, working within our Gardens Team, to support with day to day maintenance and improvement of the landscaping at Rothamsted Research campus, Rothamsted Manor and our Tenant Properties on site at Harpenden.
You will be working with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding; support with planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You will also work with the team in helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns and propagate new plants.
We are looking for a practical, creative and knowledgeable gardener to assist with achieving our design plans in the grounds of Rothamsted Manor including work on herbaceous borders, formal bedding, rose arch, formal hedges, lawns and a walled garden. You’ll also take ownership of specific areas of the garden ensuring the highest standards are maintained and healthy plants are available for our visitors to enjoy.
As a hands-on Gardener, you’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard. You’ll be passionate and enthused and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the gardens we have on site. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Have knowledge of Health and Safety.
- Trained as a professional gardener and can demonstrate practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants.
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Experience working at historic gardens.
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events
- PA1/PA6 essential.
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance. Including pedestrian mowers, hedge trimmers and strimmers.
- Able to work effectively under their own initiative and solve problems and be a team player with good communication skills.
- Experience training and supervising small teams of volunteers.
The post will be full time fixed term appointment for 3 years initially, attracting a salary of between £18,841 and £20,807 per annum, dependent on experience. We expect interviews to be held on 24th, 25th and 26th May.