We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled Grower, with experience in commercial horticulture to ensure top quality plants are produced on time in the volumes required. We have a great team, growing 300 varieties in numerous sizes so the role is varied and flexibility is key. We supply a high quality and wide range of plants, shrubs and trees to our landscaping clients for award winning schemes throughout the UK. We also operate a cash and carry service for our local customers. As a well-established family business we need a grower who understands the importance of high quality to ensure we continue to offer our clients the service and delivery we pride ourselves on.
- To assist with the production and planning of plants
- To undertake regular plant inspections and reports with DEFRA
- To oversee goods-in and despatched plants with accuracy
- To ensure the environmental impact of all growing practices has been evaluated
- To be part of a management team reporting into monthly meetings
- To ensure staff are trained and focused to carry out duties to the highest standards & quality
- To deal with customers, colleagues and visitors in a helpful and friendly manner
- Previous experience at this level from a nursery growing environment
- Able to lead the team by example to ensure a good level of service is offered
- Some form of Horticultural qualification
- Have meticulous attention to detail with all tasks and highly motivated
This role includes but is not limited to the following or managing others to do so:
- Propagation by seed, cuttings and division
- Preparation of composts, potting, quality control of plant stock
- Planning and stock evaluation for coming season.
- Helping with the management of stock levels and forward planning.
- Buying stock from UK and Europe and meeting budgeting requirements
- Supervision of staff.
- Checking and maintaining an irrigation & watering system.
- General site maintenance and repairs.
- Daily maintenance checks on all relevant machinery and carrying out any training required.
- Weed control in cropping and non-cropped areas.
- Monitoring for P&D and implementing spray programmes.
- Chemical spraying, maintaining chemical and fertiliser inventories.
- Applying biological controls
- All other plant husbandry work.
- PA1, PA6, Forklift Training etc. would be an advantage but not essential
- Ability to work independently.